Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

FDA Contradicts Trump's Confusing Claim That Malaria Drug 'Has Been Approved' as Coronavirus Treatment

FDA Contradicts Trump's Confusing Claim That Malaria Drug 'Has Been Approved' as Coronavirus Treatment

Leading up to the COVID-19 pandemic, the constant false claims and misinformation spread by President Donald Trump was troublesome to many.

But his comments now can legitimately prove deadly if someone follows his advice.


First Trump called the very real Novel Coronavirus danger a hoax and encouraged his followers to ignore warnings from the World Health Organization (WHO) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC). And on Thursday, the President told people in the United States that a drug introduced in 1944 was approved for treating COVID-19.

Trump said the drug—hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine—had shown promise at treating the COVID-19 disease.

You can see the President's remarks here.

Trump said:

"It is known as a malaria drug and it's been around for a long time and it's very powerful. But the nice part is it's been around for a long time so we know if things don't go as planned, it's not going to kill anybody."

The President added:

"Normally the FDA would take a long time to approve something like that, and it's—it was approved very, very quickly and it's now approved by prescription."

However reality is far from Trump's promising statement. Hydroxychloroquine is only in clinical trials to see if it will be effective against the coronavirus.

And the drug is quite capable of killing people despite the number of years it has been in existence.

Because of the dangers associated with telling the public a drug currently available is a proven treatment for COVID-19, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) commissioner Stephen Hahn contradicted the President almost as soon as Trump stopped talking by stating no drug had been approved to treat the coronavirus.

Hahn said:

"We may have the right drug, but it might not be in the appropriate dosage form right now, and it might do more harm than good."

French researchers—who announced their own initial results on Tuesday—echoed Hahn's statement. Their results stated that chloroquine is deadly if the dosage is wrong. No one should attempt to self treat with the drug until clinical trials are completed.

You can see more here:

Hahn added:

"The FDA's responsibility to the American people is to ensure that products are safe and effective, and we are continuing to do that."

Others, like Trump fact checker Daniel Dale of CNN, also tried to counter Trump's potentially deadly misinformation. Some people may already have access to hydroxychloroquine through a prescription for one of its approved uses.

If they try to self medicate against COVID-19, the results can prove fatal.










As of Thursday evening, total COVID-19 cases globally topped 218,000. At noon, the CDC updated their numbers of known infected to 10,442 and total deaths to 150.

While everyone is anxious for a vaccine for prevention or effective treatment for those infected, jumping the gun or making false claims is not the way to help anyone.

More from People/donald-trump

Carrie Coon
HBO

'White Lotus' Star Carrie Coon Reveals Why Scene With Her Character's Nonbinary Child Was Cut

The third season of HBO's The White Lotus hasn't shied away from depicting our dark moment in American politics, but there was one story element that proved a bridge too far, it seems.

In an interview with Harper's Bazaar, actor Carrie Coon said her character Laurie was supposed to have a nonbinary child with they/them pronouns. But the brief scene between her and her child was cut following Trump's election.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/Instagram, Scott Olson/Getty Images

Vivian Wilson Claims Elon Musk's Former Liberal Views Were Just A 'Marketing Scheme'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter Vivian Jenna Wilson set the record straight about the tech billionaire's supposed liberal beginnings, alleging that his persona was merely a ruse and part of a “marketing scheme.”

Wilson, who legally changed her name and identity in 2022 when she was 18, interviewed with YouTuber and Twitch streamer Hasan Piker, who asked her what the "transition was like for your dad to go from a liberal darling…"

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Slammed After Saying He's 'Not Joking' About Running For A Third Term

Republican President Donald Trump was ridiculed for insisting he was "not joking" about running for a third presidential term, which would violate the Constitution under the 22nd Amendment, stating a President cannot be elected beyond a second term.

In an NBC interview Sunday morning, Trump maintained his allies were pushing for a third term for the Trump administration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Ripped For Bonkers Answer After Being Asked To Define What A 'Woman' Is

President Donald Trump was called out after he was asked by a conservative reporter at the end of Women's History Month to give his definition of a "woman"—only to show that he doesn't even know his own talking points let alone those of the wider GOP.

This past Friday, Trump attended the swearing-in ceremony for interim U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, Alina Habba, where he also took questions.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Karoline Leavitt
C-SPAN2

Karoline Leavitt Gives Mind-Boggling Update On Signal Group Chat Scandal—And Critics Are Furious

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt was called out after she dismissed reporters' questions amid revelations that Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials, particularly Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, discussing military strategy surrounding war strikes in Yemen.

Lawmakers from both parties have increased their calls demanding an investigation into the Signal scandal. The latest push came from Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, who on Monday sent a letter to Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard calling for an independent probe.

Keep ReadingShow less