Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Texas High School Suspends Student, Threatens Not To Let Him Walk In Graduation Unless He Cuts Off His Dreadlocks

Texas High School Suspends Student, Threatens Not To Let Him Walk In Graduation Unless He Cuts Off His Dreadlocks
KHOU 11/YouTube
Make us preferred on Google

For his graduation, an African American student was forced to choose between walking with the rest of his class or compromising his cultural identity.

De'Andre Arnold from Texas had been growing out his dreadlocks for the past eight years in the Trinidadian style and was told to cut them off by his school last month.


Now, the senior has been suspended and will not be allowed to walk in his graduation unless he cuts his dreadlocks off.

Family members and supporters of Arnold gathered at the Barbers Hill Independent School District headquarters on Martin Luther King Day during a school board meeting and argued over the outdated dress code.

The board meetings have not had more than two speakers in their history.

That changed on Monday night when sixteen people showed up to speak out against the "racially insensitive" dress code affecting Arnold.

Arnold's father, who attended the charged meeting, said it was a "Black and White issue," and a supporter echoed his sentiment by adding:

"This dress code was designed by White people for White people that is damaging to Black bodies."

You can watch the video of the KHOU 11 report here.

A Barbers Hill ISD board member denied the controversy was a racial issue and said there was no policy against cornrows or "any method of the wearing of the hair."

He also emphasized that the more than 30-year old policy limits the length of one's hair, not the cultural style.

Twitter called out the antiquated policy.




The district – which prides itself on excellence – says the dreadlocks are in violation of its dress code according to this written stipulation.

"Male students' hair will not extend, at any time, below the eyebrows or below the ear lobes. Male students' hair must not extend below the top of a t-shirt collar or be gathered or worn in a style that would allow the hair to extend below the top of a t-shirt collar, below the eyebrows, or below the ear lobes when let down."

A handful agreed with the district and asked not to make any exceptions while a good majority rejected the alleged racist policy.


People asked why the district would wait until three months before graduation to enforce the dress code.


Arnold's father proposed an ultimatum:

"They have 48 hours to come up with a resolution."
"If not, we're going to take this to court, because they're in violation of the 1964 Civil Rights Act that pertains to discriminating against somebody in regards to their religion."

People in support of Arnold on social media told him not to give in to the bullying by the school district and said that the style of his hair should not get in the way of his future.





Barbers Hill ISD issued the following statement on Tuesday.

"Barbers Hill ISD has a long standing dress code, but we absolutely allow dreadlocks."
"What we do not allow is any action that circumvents or violates the provision regarding hair length."
"The student in question was NEVER forbidden from attending school."
"The U.S. Constitution allows a school board the right to implement local community expectations, and Barbers Hill ISD's continual academic and extra-curricular successes are a direct result of our communities' high expectations."

More from Trending

screenshot from Fox News of Riley Gaines and Sophie Cunningham
Fox News

Riley Gaines Just Tried To Make Negative Fan Reaction To Anti-Trans WNBA Player All About Herself—And We Can't Even

The WNBA has been enjoying immense growth as more people tuned in to the women's NCAA championship then followed their favorite players to the professional league.

Sensing opportunity, Riley Gaines, a former collegiate swimmer who made a career out of tying a trans woman for 5th place in an NCAA championship race, went to a recent game between the Indiana Fever and Minnesota Lynx at the Target Center in Minneapolis.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Max Miller
@MaxMillerOH/X

MAGA Rep. Offers Bonkers Reason For Why He Couldn't Have Assaulted His Ex-Wife In Bizarre Video

Ohio Republican Representative Max Miller was criticized for his defense against accusations that he assaulted his ex-wife during a custody exchange, saying he couldn't have abused his former partner because she had offered to cook him dinner days later.

Miller's ex-wife, Emily Moreno, alleged he poured hot water on her, held a gun to her head, and broke their daughter's collarbone. Despite the controversy, Miller has made no indication he’ll drop out of the Ohio House race.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot with Rosie O'Donnell; Donald Trump
On with Kara Swisher/YouTube; Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Rosie O'Donnell Shares Brutally Accurate Assessment Of 'Snake Oil Salesman' Trump In Viral Takedown

Speaking to podcaster Kara Swisher, actor and comedian Rosie O'Donnell recently explained how she viewed President Donald Trump as a native New Yorker before he ever took office.

O'Donnell and Trump have feuded for years and O'Donnell, fearing the worst once Trump won the 2024 election, moved to Ireland shortly before he was inaugurated. She has cited the risks Project 2025 and Trump's potential retribution pose to her and her nonbinary child.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kalia "YaYa" Wong (left) and Mario Lopez (right) in the A.I.-generated video shared to X.
@mariolopezviva/X

Mario Lopez Hit With Backlash After Sharing Bizarrely Sexual AI Video Of His Niece At Dodgers Game

In the ever-growing category of social media posts people probably wish they could unsend, Mario Lopez's latest upload is making a strong case for the top spot.

The actor and Access Hollywood host is facing backlash after sharing a since-deleted X video—captured by freelance journalist Yashar Ali—featuring himself and his niece, Kalia "YaYa" Wong, at a Los Angeles Dodgers game.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Marco Rubio; Screenshot of Marco Rubio from the widely-circulated meme
Fox News

Marco Rubio Finally Addressed That Oft-Memed Photo Of Him Sitting On An Oval Office Couch: 'I Hated That Picture'

Secretary of State Marco Rubio admitted that he actually did find a viral photo of him looking miserable while sitting on a couch in the Oval Office rather "funny."

The February 2025 image captured Rubio seemingly sinking into an Oval Office couch during a tense meeting involving President Donald Trump, Vice President JD Vance, and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. The photo quickly went viral, with many online pointing to it as a reflection of Rubio's increasingly expansive portfolio within the Trump administration.

Keep ReadingShow less