Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Santos Says He Opposes Gay Marriage On Same Day He Celebrates 2nd Anniversary With Husband

George Santos
Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

The now-expelled GOP Rep. told reporters he 'was an opposer of gay marriage' after having just celebrated his 2nd wedding anniversary with his husband, Matt, earlier that day.

Former New York Republican Representative George Santos raised eyebrows during his final hours in office by publicly denouncing LGBTQ+ rights, specifically targeting marriage equality, despite being married to a man himself.

Santos marked his second wedding anniversary with his husband, Matt, by sharing pictures on social media along with the following message:


"2 year[s] since we said I Do!"
"Happy anniversary to my partner in life and to my rock who has not skipped a beat over the past few months. Thank you for being the most amazing spouse! I Love you to the moon and back!"

You can see his post below.

However, later that day, he made puzzling comments to reporters at the Capitol, expressing opposition to his own right to marry as a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

Santos reiterated his belief that his marriage should not be labeled as "marriage" and suggested that it should have been recognized as a civil union, providing similar legal rights and benefits under the law.

He said:

“I thought it should have been a civil union. It would have given us the same benefits, the same rights under the law. Making it marriage was never the business of the government."
“I’m not saying I oppose just gay marriage. I oppose marriage by the government in general. To force that on society was a problem. That is why we’re still debating, right?"

Santos' claim that government involvement in marriage, even for opposite-sex couples, is problematic is an argument that conflicts with historical marriage practices and prevailing societal norms. He implied that the issue of marriage equality would not exist if it weren't for government intervention, disregarding the historical context and progression of LGBTQ+ rights in various states.

Santos' inconsistency is striking due to the fact that his marriage was legally sanctioned in New York after the state legalized same-sex marriage in 2011, refuting his claim that his union was not influenced by a court ruling.

Many have called out his hypocrisy in response.




Santos was expelled from the House of Representatives by a vote of 311–114, exceeding the necessary two-thirds majority, on December 1. He is the only Republican ever expelled from the House, and the only representative expelled without first being convicted of a federal crime or having supported the Confederacy during the Civil War.

A damning House Ethics Committee report revealed he spent thousands in campaign funds on a variety of non-campaign-related items, including OnlyFans, Botox, and trips to Atlantic City and the Hamptons. The report alleged Santos had committed "knowing and willful violations" of House financial disclosure rules and filed "false or incomplete reports" with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).

The 56-page report offered extensive evidence indicating Santos’ misuse of campaign funds for personal purposes, fraudulent activities toward donors, and submission of false or incomplete campaign finance and financial disclosure reports.

It further accuses Santos of exploiting his House candidacy for personal financial gain through a series of deceptive tactics, including lies about his background and experience to constituents, donors, and staff.

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less