Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

'Rust' Armorer's Lawyer Claims Disgruntled Crew Member May Have Intentionally Sabotaged Gun

'Rust' Armorer's Lawyer Claims Disgruntled Crew Member May Have Intentionally Sabotaged Gun
TODAY/YouTube
Make us preferred on Google

The case of the shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins by Alec Baldwin on the set of the film Rust took yet another turn yesterday when attorneys representing the film's armorer claimed the shooting may have resulted from sabotage by a disgruntled employee.

In an appearance on TODAY, lawyers Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence, who are representing armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, laid out details of the case that show both the gun and its ammunition were left unattended, leaving both open to tampering.


See Bowles' and Gorence's full TODAY interview below.

youtu.be

In the interview, Bowles explained that only so-called dummy rounds were supposed to be on the set, and that Gutierrez-Reed loaded the gun from an ammunition box labeled "dummy rounds." Hence, he and Gorence are exploring the possibility that someone deliberately added a live round to the ammunition box.

As Bowles explained to TODAY's Savannah Guthrie:

"We know there was a live round in a box of dummy rounds that shouldn't have been there."
"We have people who had left the set, who had walked out because they were disgruntled."
"We have a time frame between 11 and 1 approximately, that day, in which the firearms at times were unattended, so there was opportunity to tamper with this scene..."
"...We're assuming somebody put the live round in that box — which, if you think about that, the person who put the live round in the box of dummy rounds had to have the purpose of sabotaging the set."

Several Rust crew members have said the film set was plagued with safety violations and pay, benefit and labor disputes, culminating with several crew members quitting the film in the days before the shooting.

But Guthrie seemed dubious about Bowles' and Gorence's theories, which do not account for how live ammunition was not discovered in the final firearm safety procedures required on film sets and which were the responsibility of Gutierrez-Reed and the film's First Assistant Director Dave Halls.

On Twitter, many shared this suspicion of the attorneys' claims and accused them of attempting to scapegoat crew members advocating for a safer working environment.
















As for Gutierrez-Reed, her attorneys said she "remains very emotional" in the aftermath of the killing.

Rust was only Gutierrez-Reed's second job as an armorer.

Her attorneys said she was also working a second job on the set as the film's key props assistant.

More from News

Screenshots of Tim Pool and Mason
Surrounded/Jubilee

Right-Wing Podcaster Storms Off Debate Show Set After Being Epically Called Out For Grifting Off Of 'Civil War' Claims

Right-wing podcaster Tim Pool was widely mocked after storming off the set of the debate series Surrounded when he was grilled over his constant claims that the United States is tracking towards a "civil war."

Pool recently appeared in Jubilee’s series, where progressive commentator Mason challenged his repeated warnings that the U.S. could be heading toward a “civil war.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Scrreenshot of Jon Ossoff; Donald Trump and Natalie Harp
@Acyn/X; Mandel Ngan/AFP via Getty Images

Jon Ossoff Rips Trump During Speech With Brutal Dig About His Problematic Relationship With Fawning Young Aide

Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff took aim at President Donald Trump's problematic relationship with his young aide Natalie Harp during a campaign speech on Sunday.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and John Teichert
Fox News

Trump Just Threatened To 'Bomb The Sh*t Out Of' Oman—And Even Fox News Is Flabbergasted

Even Fox News is stunned after President Donald Trump threatened to "bomb the sh*t out of" Oman if the country "gets in the way" of talks between the U.S. and Iran.

Trump’s remarks came amid stalled U.S.-Iran negotiations and separate talks between Iran and Oman over how commercial shipping could resume through the Strait of Hormuz. Fox News correspondent Trey Yingst reported that Trump warned the U.S. would attack Oman if it interfered with American efforts, though Fox did not release audio of the interview.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump speaking at rally
@Acyn/X

MAGA Rally Crowd Applauds After Trump Says He'll 'Never Apologize' For Higher Gas Prices In Surreal Viral Video

President Donald Trump was met with applause from supporters in a surreal moment at a MAGA rally on Long Island, New York, after he told attendees he'd "never apologize" for higher gas costs due to his war with Iran.

A recent Gallup poll found that 55 percent of respondents felt their finances were worsening, a level of pessimism exceeding that seen during both the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2008 financial crisis. This comes as the highly unpopular war in Iran continues to rage, sending gas prices surging. Americans have spent an additional $59 billion on fuel since Trump launched the war.

Keep ReadingShow less