Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Officers Of Color Suing After They Were Allegedly Barred From Interacting With George Floyd's Killer In Jail

Officers Of Color Suing After They Were Allegedly Barred From Interacting With George Floyd's Killer In Jail
Hennepin County Sheriff's Office

A lawsuit filed by eight people of color who work as corrections officers alleges that they were prohibited from guarding or interacting in any way with Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin, the officer who killed George Floyd last spring.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, all officers of color were moved to a separate floor of the correctional facility where Chauvin was held on the day he arrived.


The lawsuit filed on behalf of the eight officers, who identify as Black, Hispanic and Pacific Islander, alleges racial discrimination and a hostile work environment.


The allegations in the 30-page lawsuit—filed in Ramsey County District Court Tuesday morning—paint an eyebrow-raising picture of the operations at the Ramsey County jail during Chauvin's stay last summer.

In addition to the transfer of all non-White officers to another floor of the facility, a Black sergeant was forbidden by the jail's White superintendent from transferring Chauvin to his cell solely because of his race. Another Black officer was removed and replaced by a White officer in the middle of patting Chauvin down upon his arrival at the jail.

Two other officers said they saw surveillance footage of a White female officer being granted "special access" to Chauvin's cell, during which she sat on Chauvin's bed and loaned him her cell phone, in violation of policy. That officer was previously identified in communications between lawyers and the local Sheriff's office as Lieutenant Lugene Werner, who is related to Chauvin's sister by marriage.

Werner denies the allegations against her and declined to speak about her relationship to Chauvin.

In a statement last summer, jail Superintendent Steve Lydon claimed the segregation was to protect the officers from Chauvin, given the extreme emotions related to George Floyd's murder.

As he explained in the statement:

"Recognizing that the murder of George Floyd was likely to create a particularly acute radicalized trauma, I felt I had an immediate duty to protect and support employees who may have been traumatized and may have heightened ongoing trauma by having to deal with Chauvin..."
"Out of care and concern, and without the comfort of time, I made a decision to limit exposure to employees of color to a murder suspect who could potentially aggravate those feelings."

But the officers say no reason was ever communicated to them at any time.

In the lawsuit, Minneapolis attorney Lucas Kaster explained Lydon's decision to segregate the officers injured their credibility and undermined the facility's safety.

"Credibility is critical to maintaining safety in a jail environment... [The] segregation order tarnished [the officers'] credibility and reputation and prohibited them from completing their job duties professionally."


On Twitter, many were appalled by the revelations alleged in the lawsuit.










All eight officers—some of whom have worked for Ramsey County for 10 years—expressed shock at the incident, which they called the "most overtly discriminatory act" they've experienced during their tenure.

More from Trending

Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less
Waymo vehicles crowd an Atlanta cul-de-sac during the viral incident.
Courtesy of WSB-TV

Internet Weirded Out After Dozens Of Empty Self-Driving Waymo Cars Descend On Atlanta Neighborhood For No Apparent Reason

It’s one thing to see a self-driving Waymo car and do a quick double-take over the fact that nobody is behind the wheel. It’s another thing when dozens of them suddenly start rolling through your neighborhood like a very confused robot field trip.

Residents on Atlanta’s ironically named “Battleview Drive” say empty Waymo vehicles have been repeatedly swarming their cul-de-sac during the early morning hours despite not picking up or dropping off passengers.

Keep ReadingShow less