Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Former Chief Strategist for George W. Bush Compares Trump's and Obama's Treatment of the Taliban: 'Enough Said'

Former Chief Strategist for George W. Bush Compares Trump's and Obama's Treatment of the Taliban: 'Enough Said'
Alex Wong/Getty Images, Sean Gallup/Getty Images

Boom.

President Donald Trump is receiving backlash for a sudden announcement of a cancelled meeting with leaders of the Taliban, a violent and fundamentalist political movement, at Camp David during the 18th anniversary of the September 11 attacks.

The peace talks were aimed at ending the years long conflict in Afghanistan, but were called off after the Taliban—which sheltered Osama Bin Laden for years and championed political violence against the United States—claimed credit for an attack in Kabul that left 12 people, including an American soldier, dead.


Americans aren't blaming Donald Trump for cancelling the meeting, but they are concerned that his administration pursued the meeting at the time and place that it did.

Former Chief Strategist for President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney soon weighed in, taking an unlikely side:

"Trump invited the Taliban to camp david. Obama had osama bin laden killed. Enough said."

Obama captured the nation in a national address in April of 2011 when he announced to the world that Osama bin Laden, the orchestrator of the September 11 attacks, had been killed—ten years after 9/11. Trump's invitation of the Taliban to Camp David, where officials gathered in the aftermath of the attacks, was considered by many a slap in the face.

Dowd has been a critic of Trump for some time, lambasting his approach to North Korea and his incessant use of Twitter.

Many agreed with Dowd's stance.

Dowd wasn't the only one who recognized the hypocrisy.

While Republican backlash for Trump is a relatively rare phenomenon, the pursuit of bringing the Taliban onto American soil during the anniversary of September 11 was taking a step too far.

Former speechwriter for Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX), Amanda Carpenter, railed against Trump's announcement on CNN:

"[M]y blood is boiling over this...And I’m left wondering: what was the plan here?...what were they thinking? I really want to know what the plan was before it went haywire.””

One senior Taliban leader said a meeting in Washington was never an option:

“If Trump and his administration think they would solve the confrontation between the government and the Taliban somewhere in Washington in a meeting, that’s not possible because we do not recognize the stooge government.”

A spokesperson for the Taliban has denied that any peace talks were ever going to take place on American soil, leaving many conflicted at whether they should believe a spokesperson for the Taliban or the President of the United States.

What a mess.

-------

Listen to the first three episodes of George Takei's podcast, 'Oh Myyy Pod!', where we explore the racially charged videos that have taken the internet by storm.

Be sure to subscribe here and never miss an episode.

More from People/donald-trump

Hillary Clinton
Kimberly White/Getty Images for Common Sense Media

Hillary Clinton Has Iconic Reaction To Trump Administration's 'Atlantic' Text Scandal

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had a succinct response after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Jenna Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/TikTok; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Elon Musk's Trans Daughter Epically Claps Back After Musk Claims His Child 'Died'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, used an iconic soundbite from RuPaul's Drag Race to clap back at Musk's claim that his child had "died."

The SpaceX co-founder responded to a post on X (formerly Twitter) defending Musk for appearing to give the Nazi salute twice at Republican President Donald Trump's inauguration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Mike Myers and Mark Carney
@MarkJCarney/X

Mike Myers Joins Canada's New Prime Minister For Epic Jab At Trump In Viral Video

Actor and comedian Mike Myers has gone viral after joining Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney for a video message that mocks President Donald Trump and his plan to make Canada the 51st state of the United States.

In the Liberal Party skit, Mike Myers and Mark Carney—both dressed in red Canada jerseys—share a moment at a hockey practice. Carney starts off skeptical of Myers, questioning his Canadian credentials since he now lives in the United States, despite being born and raised in Canada.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Drops F-Bombs After Trump Administration Invites Journalist Into High-Level Military Group Chat

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg passionately spoke out after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump with Easter bunny at 2017 Easter egg roll
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Blasted After Turning Annual White House Easter Tradition Into Corporate Grift

President Donald Trump has sparked concerns from ethics experts after soliciting corporate sponsors for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll.

Potential sponsors of the April 21 event were presented with three sponsorship options ranging from $75,000 to $200,000, according to a nine-page guide reviewed by The New York Times.

Keep ReadingShow less