Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

A Judge Just Ordered the White House to Reinstate Jim Acosta's Press Pass, and Sarah Sanders's Response Has People Crying Foul

Really?

After federal judge Timothy J. Kelly ruled that the Trump administration should reinstate CNN reporter Jim Acosta's press pass, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders issued a statement calling for "decorum" during White House press briefings.

"Today, the court made clear that there is no absolute First Amendment right to access the White House," Sanders said. "In response to the court, we will temporarily reinstate the reporter's hard pass. We will also further develop rules and processes to ensure fair and orderly press conferences in the future."


"There must be decorum at the White House," she concluded.

Sanders's statement left many crying foul. Many criticized both her interpretation of events and her willingness, in her capacity as press secretary, to overlook or excuse President Donald Trump's consistent lack of decorum amid his consistent attacks on the press.

CNN filed its lawsuit on Tuesday, saying that the White House has violated both the network’s and Acosta’s “First Amendment rights of freedom of the press and Fifth Amendment rights to due process.”

The suit lists Donald J. Trump, White House Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, White House Deputy Chief of Staff for Communications William Shine, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the United States Secret Service, Secret Service Director Randolph Alles, and Secret Service Agent John Doe as defendants.

CNN argues that President Donald Trump is “depriving” CNN of its chief White House correspondent:

“Defendants have deprived Plaintiffs of their right to access the White House grounds by revoking Acosta’s White House credentials. Without those credentials, Acosta cannot access the White House and cannot effectively serve as a White House correspondent, thus depriving Plaintiff CNN of its chief White House correspondent.”

The network also argues that Acosta’s dismissal constitutes a direct violation of the Fifth Amendment’s right to due process:

“Defendants’ decision to revoke Acosta’s press credentials violates the Fifth Amendment right to due process.

“Neither the White House nor the Secret Service has provided Acosta any formal

notice of the reasons for, opportunity to be heard regarding, or opportunity to challenge, the

decision to revoke his hard pass.”

CNN requests that Acosta be reinstated and notes that the revocation of Acosta’s access was “the culmination of years of hostility by President Trump against CNN and Acosta” based on its reporting and “an unabashed attempt to censor the press and exclude reporters from the White House who challenge and dispute the President’s point of view.”

Acosta discovered his press access had been suspended when he walked up to the northwest gate of the White House for a live shot last Wednesday. A Secret Service agent told him: “I was just told to do it.”

Concurrently, Sanders claimed that Acosta had behaved inappropriately at a presidential news conference earlier that day. Sanders accused him of “placing his hands” on an intern who tried to take away his microphone. In reality, Acosta said “Pardon me, ma’am” and asked another question before giving up his microphone.

Sanders later shared a doctored video promoted by right-wing conspiracy website Infowars purporting to show Acosta placing his hands on the intern. That video was swiftly debunked.

The Justice Department, in a 28-page filing, defended its decision to revoke Acosta’s press access.

No journalist has a First Amendment right to enter the White House,” Justice Department lawyers said.

“The president is generally free to open the White House doors to political allies, in the hopes of furthering a particular agenda, and he is equally free to invite in only political foes, in the hopes of convincing them of his position,” the lawyers continued. “The First Amendment simply does not regulate these decisions.”

More from News

Screenshot of Nick Fuentes
America First

White Nationalist Admits That Liberals Were Right About Trump Being A 'Demagogue'

Far-right pundit and white nationalist Nick Fuentes admitted on his show that "liberals were right, fundamentally" about President Donald Trump, acknowledging Trump's brand of authoritarian populism by referring to him as a "populist demagogue."

In its modern sense, a demagogue is a political agitator who seeks to advance their political goals or personal power by appealing to people’s emotions, prejudices, and hardships.

Keep ReadingShow less
scene from Disney's Pocahontas
Disney

'Based On A True Story' Movies That Aren't True At All

The entertainment industry has long been criticized for their creative license when it comes to retelling history or anything "based on a true story."

Going back to the silent film era and D.W. Griffith's ridiculously inaccurate White supremacist propaganda Birth Of A Nation to Mel Gibson's Braveheart to Disney's Pocahontas, some films go way beyond creative license and careen into total malarkey.

Keep ReadingShow less
A person holding a fan of cash.
person holding fan of U.S. dollars banknote

People Describe The Moment They Realized They Were Privileged

There is little more off-putting than when people flaunt their wealth and privilege in other people's faces.

On the flip side, not everyone takes kindly to wealthy people who act like they're "one of us".

Keep ReadingShow less
Elon Musk
Kevin Lamarque/Pool/AFP via Getty Images

Musk's AI Chatbot Throws Republicans Under The Bus After Being Asked About Economy

Grok, billionaire Elon Musk's very own chatbot, threw Republicans under the bus after software engineer Alex Coke asked it if Democrats or Republicans have been better for the economy in the past 30 years, only for it to answer that yes, in fact, Democrats are the winners when it comes to economic policy.

Economic policy is certainly on everyone's minds these days. A new CNN poll conducted by SSRS shows that Americans are not pleased with President Donald Trump’s management of the economy, leaving him with unfavorable ratings on what is considered the nation’s most important issue.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox 5 Washington D.C./YouTube

CNN Airs Brutal Reminder Of Trump's Previous Economic Predictions—And They Did Not Age Well

CNN came with the receipts, airing a supercut of clips from 2020 and 2024 of President Donald Trump making hilariously wrong economic predictions—a damning reel of evidence as financial markets decline and investor concerns grow over Trump’s trade policies.

In fact, Trump’s escalating trade war pushed the S&P 500 more than 10% below its record high set just last month. A drop of this size is significant enough that professional investors call it a “correction,” and the S&P 500’s 1.4% decline on Thursday marked its first since 2023.

Keep ReadingShow less