Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Mitt Romney Just Called Out the Republican Party for Their Deficit Hypocrisy, and the Internet Is Cheering

Mitt Romney Just Called Out the Republican Party for Their Deficit Hypocrisy, and the Internet Is Cheering
OGDEN, UT - FEBRUARY 16: Candidate for senate Mitt Romney tours Gibson's Green Acres Dairy on February 16, 2018 in Ogden, Utah. Mr. Romney is running for a U.S. Senate seat from Utah, currently held by Sen. Orrin Hatch, who announced his retirement after the current term expires. (Photo by Gene Sweeney Jr./Getty Images)

Accurate.

Former Republican Massachusetts governor and Utah U.S. Senate candidate Mitt Romney tore into the Republican Party on Monday over the federal budget deficit and national debt, both of which are ballooning under President Donald Trump and the GOP-led Congress.


"Republicans have been shouting about this as long as I can remember. We called for an amendment to balance the budget," Romney said on his Senate campaign website. "Just a few years ago, the Tea Party movement brought new energy to the issue. But now that Republicans are in charge in Washington, we appear to have become silent about deficits and debt."

Romney called out his own party - which has traditionally been on the hawkish side when it comes to budgetary matters - for allowing the deficit to explode and the national debt to continue to surpass a staggering $21 trillion.

"The interest paid last year by American taxpayers on that debt was nearly $300 billion," the 2012 Republican presidential nominee wrote. "Credible forecasts estimate that we will be paying $700 billion in interest in just a few years."

Last month the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office released its findings indicating that the Tax Cuts & Jobs Act combined with increased spending will drive the deficit up to $793 billion by the end of 2018 and will push it to $1 trillion next year – a 20 percent increase over 2017’s $666 billion deficit.

The deficit in 2016 was $587 billion and increased to $666 billion in 2017, Trump’s first year in office.

Over the next decade, the CBO predicts an additional $1.9 trillion budget shortfall, thanks to Trump's tax cuts and additional spending.

Romney added that in 2017, "the government took in $3 trillion and it spent $4 trillion."

"The extra trillion was borrowed from other countries, institutions, and individuals, and we will pay them billions in interest on their loans every year," he said.

Romney finished by saying: "With a booming economy, full employment, a soaring stock market, and record asset values, we should be shrinking the deficit, not growing it."

Twitter joined Romney in slamming Trump and the GOP's resounding hypocrisy.

Romey was not spared some wrath, however, as he is extraordinarily rich and stands to benefit from Republican tax breaks.

Tread lightly, governor.

Calls came in for Romney to campaign on repealing the Trump tax cuts.

And to rein in military spending, which has swelled to more than $700 billion per year - more than ten times what we spend on public education.

Well, there's that too.

Note: The original version said the military budget was more than six times the education budget. It's actually more than 10 times, and this article has been amended to reflect that.

More from People/donald-trump

Jason Isaacs; Donald Trump
MSNBC, JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images

Video Of 'White Lotus' Star Epically Ripping Trump During Live MSNBC Interview Resurfaces

A star promoting a new season of a highly popular TV series usually shares behind-the-scenes anecdotes and rarely touches on major current events.

This wasn't the case when The White Lotus actor Jason Isaacs stopped by MSNBC last month to discuss his character, Timothy Ratliff—a self-centered financier from Durham, North Carolina, who is under investigation for a shady business venture with an associate while away on vacation with his family.

Keep ReadingShow less
Valentina Gomez
@ValentinaForUSA/X

Far-Right Candidate Suggests Murdering Migrants Is 'Cheaper Than Deportation' In Disgusting Post

Far-right MAGA activist Valentina Gomez drew social media outrage for posting a screenshot from a video violently depicting the execution of a migrant criminal.

In the disturbing image, the 25-year-old real-estate investor and political activist from Medellín, Colombia, points a gun at a dummy meant to represent a migrant tied to a chair. Smoke emanates from the cloaked figure's head, suggesting that she's just fired a shot.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kristen Welker and Ty Cobb
NBC News

Former Trump White House Lawyer Calls Trump Administration 'Lawless' In Eye-Popping Interview

During an interview with Meet the Press Now host Kristen Welker, Ty Cobb, who served as an attorney for the first Trump administration, called out Trump 2.0 for having "no respect for the rule of law."

Cobb's remarks came as the Trump administration gears up for a legal battle over the Alien Enemies Act after President Donald Trump invoked it on Saturday, clearing the way for him to deport over 250 undocumented immigrants purportedly from Venezuela with little to no due process.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Greg Gutfeld; John Roberts
Fox News; Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

Fox Host Throws Tantrum After John Roberts Calls Out Trump: 'Roberts, Shut The F Up!'

Fox News host Greg Gutfeld was called out after he attacked Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts for criticizing President Donald Trump's call for a federal judge to be impeached after the judge ruled against his administration in an immigration case.

The Trump administration was already gearing up for a legal battle over the Alien Enemies Act after Trump invoked it on Saturday to justify his deportation of over 250 undocumented immigrants purportedly from Venezuela with little to no due process.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Scott Bessent and Kristen Welker
NBC News

Treasury Sec. Slammed After Threatening Journalist For Pushing Back On His Recession Denial

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent was called out after he subtly threatened Meet the Press host Kristen Welker for pressing him on a potential recession after he claimed he's "not worried" about the recent stock market drops.

During their interview, Bessent told Welker he can't "guarantee" there won't be a recession:

Keep ReadingShow less