Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Trump's Secretary of State Just Accidentally Told the Truth About His Trip to Saudi Arabia, and People Are Calling Him Out

Trump's Secretary of State Just Accidentally Told the Truth About His Trip to Saudi Arabia, and People Are Calling Him Out
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (L) meets with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh, on October 16, 2018. - Pompeo held talks with Saudi King Salman seeking answers about the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, amid US media reports the kingdom may be mulling an admission he died during a botched interrogation. (Photo by LEAH MILLIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Well, at least he admits it.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday traveled to Riyadh, Saudi Arabia to discuss the disappearance of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi with the Saudi royal family.

As he prepared to fly to Turkey to discuss the Khashoggi matter with the Turkish president, Pompeo spoke with reporters and accidentally revealed the true intention of his meeting with the Saudis...or rather what it was not.


Pompeo said the Saudis assured him they would conduct a "complete, transparent investigation" into Khashoggi, and that the Saudis "made a commitment to hold anyone connected to any wrongdoing" accountable, including members of the royal family or any "senior officer or official."

When asked if the Saudis knew if Khashoggi is alive or dead, however, Pompeo said:

"I don't want to talk about any of the facts. They didn't want to either."

Pompeo went on to say that the visit was "incredibly successful in that sense" and that he looks forward to seeing the Saudis' report.

"We received commitments that they would complete this," Pompeo added, "and we're counting on them to do that."

Watch the full clip below:

Many journalists were appalled at Pompeo's response because the trip was sold to the public as a fact-finding mission - which clearly was not the case.

"The mission of Pompeo's trip was to find facts," tweeted Philip Rucker of WaPo.

MSNBC's Chris Hayes said the "entire charade is beyond disgusting."

Walter Schaub, former director of the Office of Government Ethics, took it one step further by suggesting Pompeo is part of a cover-up.

The public simply isn't buying Pompeo's story. Many feel that President Donald Trump and his administration are willfully obfuscating the truth.

People are understandably concerned that the United States' hands-off approach may actually make things worse.

Khashoggi is believed to have been tortured and killed at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey earlier this month by 15 Saudi nationals wielding a bone saw.

Evidence the Saudis were involved is mounting, but for the Trump administration, it's business as usual, as the Saudi royals fiercely deny any involvement.

"We are strong and old allies so we face our challenges together," bin Salman (MBS) told Pompeo as he arrived in Riyadh.

State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert described Pompeo's talks with MBS as "direct and candid" and that Pompeo thanked MBS for "his commitment to supporting a thorough, transparent and timely investigation of Jamal Khashoggi’s disappearance."

"Learning what happened to Jamal Khashoggi is the primary purpose of this trip and is of great interest to the president," Nauert said. "The secretary has made that clear in each of his meetings today."

Trump has suggested without evidence that “rogue killers” could be responsible for Khashoggi’s death despite audio and video recordings of the murder claimed to be in possession of Turkish officials and an evolving cover story being pushed by the Saudis.

The Saudi government is reportedly preparing to announce that Khashoggi, who was interrogated, tortured and murdered in the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul October 2, was killed by accident during a botched interrogation.

“Two sources close to the kingdom confirmed to CBS News later on Monday that the Saudi government was planning to admit he was killed, but call it an accident,” Tucker Reals reported on Tuesday.

It won’t be so easy, however, to write off the 15 Saudi operatives lying in wait inside the Saudi Consulate for Khashoggi’s arrival with a bone saw in hand as an accident.

But not everyone close to the administration is willing to take the Saudis at their word. Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) on Tuesday said MBS was a "wrecking ball" who likely ordered the assassination of Khashoggi.

"He had this guy murdered in a consulate in Turkey, and to expect me to ignore it, I feel used and abused," Graham said on Fox & Friends.

The Turkish government is conducting its own investigation as well.

In a statement on Monday, Khashoggi's family called for an "independent and impartial commission to inquire into the circumstances of his death.”

"We are sadly and anxiously following the conflicting news regarding the fate of our father after losing contact with him two weeks ago, when he disappeared after entering the Saudi consulate in Istanbul," the statement said. "Our family is traumatized, and yearns to be together during this painful time."

More from News

Newt Gingrich; Joe Neguse
C-SPAN

Dem Rep. Brings The Receipts After Newt Gingrich Claims Biden Judges Are Staging 'Coup'

On Tuesday, the House Democrats of the Judiciary Committee countered Republican efforts to undermine the constitutional role of an independent federal Judiciary branch—which is to provide checks and balances against the Executive and Legislative branches.

House Republicans—led by Judiciary Committee chair and friend-of-Donald, Jim Jordan—seek to retaliate against federal judges for following the United States Constitution and the rule of law.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nettie and Darrel Yeager
Darwell Yeager III/Facebook

Mississippi Restaurant Sparks Outrage After Offering Discount To Straight Couples Only

A Mississippi couple are in hot water online after offering a straight-couples discount at their restaurant.

Darrel and Nettie Yeager, owners of Darwell's Happiness Café, took to Facebook on March 25 to announce that any couple "who can produce a child" would get a special bonus.

Keep ReadingShow less
Suni Williams, Butch Wilmore, and Jesse Watters
Fox News

Jesse Watters Slammed Over Crass Question He Wanted To Ask Stranded Astronauts

Fox News host Jesse Watters shared a cringey question that was one giant leap backward for mankind.

NASA astronauts Suni Williams and Butch Wilmore gave their first official interview after safely returning from their nine-month long extended stay aboard the International Space Station after thinking they would return in eight days.

Keep ReadingShow less
Kid Rock
Todd Kirkland/Getty Images

Kid Rock Dragged After Donning A Truly Over-The-Top Outfit For His White House Visit

Singer Kid Rock was slammed for wearing a loud patriotic costume inside the Oval Office as Republican President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday against ticket scalping.

The rocker's outfit consisted of a red, white, and blue jacket emblazoned with two eagles facing each other above the American flag with the number 250, a nod to America's upcoming 250th anniversary, and white stars on his sleeves.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Bill Cassidy
CNBC

MAGA Senator Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud With Epic Freudian Slip About Medicare

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was widely mocked following his inconvenient slip of the tongue during a CNBC interview as he mused about finding ways to "cut" Medicare before quickly correcting himself.

The exchange occurred after host Rebecca Quick pressed Louisiana Republican and former physician Bill Cassidy on how his party intended to fund the “trillion-dollar tax cuts” sought by President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less