Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

National Archives Bluntly Factchecks Trump's Claim That Bush And Clinton Mishandled Presidential Documents

National Archives Bluntly Factchecks Trump's Claim That Bush And Clinton Mishandled Presidential Documents
Mario Tama/Getty Images

The National Archives factchecked Donald Trump's false claims about past Presidents mishandling classified documents.

Make us preferred on Google

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) offered a blunt factcheck after former Republican President Donald Trump claimed during a rally in Arizona that past Presidents have taken presidential documents with them when they leave office or kept them in "substandard conditions."

Trump has been embroiled in an ongoing investigation into his theft of classified and top secret documents from the White House retrieved from his Mar-a-Lago estate in August. He recently petitioned the Supreme Court—which is stacked with conservatives he appointed—in an effort to prevent the Department of Justice (DOJ) from reviewing the confidential materials he took in violation of several laws.


Speaking at a rally in Mesa, Arizona on Sunday, October 9, Trump lied to his MAGA minions about several past Presidents mishandling documents.

Trump said Democratic President Bill Clinton's records were taken "from the White House to a former car dealership" in Arkansas. He also said Democrat Barack Obama "moved more than 20 truckloads, over 33 million pages of documents, both classified and unclassified, to a poorly built and totally unsafe former furniture store located in a rather bad neighborhood in Chicago."

He also took aim at George W. Bush—a Republican and Trump critic—saying he "stored 68 million pages in a warehouse in Texas."

He even went after George H.W. Bush—the former's father—saying the elder Bush had taken "millions and millions of documents to a former bowling alley pieced together with what was then an old and broken Chinese restaurant."

NARA disputed each and every one of these tall tales in a press release calling Trump's statements "false and misleading."

NARA said the site they selected for Clinton's records was "formerly the Balch Motor Company" located in Little Rock, about 1.5 miles from "the site of the future Clinton Presidential Library."

The agency noted NARA negotiated the library's lease and would operate the facility until its opening.

The agency noted in its release NARA took "physical and legal custody of the Presidential Records" from the administrations of every former President since Republican Ronald Reagan left office in 1989.

It said all records go to temporary facilities leased from the General Services Administration (GSA), close to the site of future presidential libraries managed and staffed "exclusively by NARA employees."

Trump and his lies were immediately criticized.



In the months since the FBI's search of Mar-a-Lago, Trump and his allies claimed he had no documents and the FBI planted them then he had the ability to declassify confidential information and documents telepathically, claims disputed by experts who noted there is a specific federal process that must be adhered to before any information can be declassified if they're eligible for declassification.

Trump—like all Presidents since the establishment of the Presidential Records Act of 1978—was required by federal law to turn over all documents to NARA regardless of classification. Instead, NARA noted Trump took them with him to Mar-a-Lago.

Mar-a-Lago is accessible by any individual who can pay the membership fee and members of the public who book facilities or attend events at the resort such as weddings or birthday parties. Surveillance video from Mar-a-Lago seemed to indicate the documents Trump took were not guarded or always kept in a locked room—despite some being classified or top secret.

Earlier this year and months before the search warrant was executed by the FBI, there were reports that while in office Trump regularly tore up documents and memos after reading them and even flushed some papers down the toilet.

Those reports were preceded by news The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) had retrieved from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate White House record boxes containing important communication records, gifts and letters from world leaders all required to be turned over to NARA.

More from People/donald-trump

Dylan Gadeke; Christina Toni Kulusich and Disney performer
@dylangadeke/TikTok; @babytoni99/TikTok

Former Disneyland Peter Pan Defends Viral 'Peter Pan Girl' After She's Hit With Backlash For 'Stalking' Performers

So-called Disney Adults are a breed apart, for sure. But they also get more flak online than probably any other subculture out there.

And at the moment, nobody is bearing the brunt of that more than Christina Toni Kulusich, a Disney superfan and TikToker, who's become online-famous for her downright obsession with Peter Pan.

Keep ReadingShow less
screenshot from "Jesse Watters Primetime"
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Sounding The Alarm Over Video Of Mamdani Speaking Mandarin

New York City Democratic Socialist Mayor Zohran Mamdani shared a message in English, Mandarin (Chinese), Spanish, and Bengali (Bangla) about his plan—in partnership with the nonprofit Theatre Development Fund—to give away over 2,000 free Broadway tickets to one of seven participating shows.

Open to high school students in his city, sign-up began on August 13 for the lottery that will give kids an opportunity to experience the arts. The entry period ended on August 17 and winners will be chosen on September 1.

Keep ReadingShow less
Nancy Mace
Heather Diehl/Getty Images

Nancy Mace Called Out For Her Blatant Hypocrisy After Claiming Critics Of Her Tattoos Are 'Out Of Control'

South Carolina Republican Representative Nancy Mace was called out for her own hypocrisy after she complained that conservative critics of her tattoos are "out of control."

Mace recently showed off her heavily tattooed arms for the first time in a series of new videos. She revealed in a February interview with Politico that she had gotten nine tattoos, but had previously kept them hidden, typically wearing long sleeves whenever she appeared in photographs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Scott Jennings; Jon Ossoff
CNN; Paras Griffin/Getty Images

Scott Jennings Tried To Call Out Jon Ossoff For His 'Sexist Joke' About Trump's Young Aide—And It Didn't Go Well For Him

Conservative CNN commentator Scott Jennings was reminded of President Donald Trump's own misogyny after attacking Georgia Democratic Senator Jon Ossoff over his remarks about Trump's relationship with his aide Natalie Harp.

Last month, Trump reportedly took extraordinary security precautions during a trip to Turkey, secretly switching from Air Force One to a military aircraft after an alleged threat. Although he was publicly seen boarding the presidential jet, he was later transported to the military plane concealed inside a catering truck.

Keep ReadingShow less
Alyson Stoner (left) tearfully remembers their late Kingdom Hearts co-star Hayden Panettiere (right).
@alysonstoner/Instagram; Jamie McCarthy/WireImage

'Kingdom Hearts' Star Breaks Down In Tears Over Co-Star Hayden Panettiere's Death In Heart-Wrenching Video

Hayden Panettiere’s death is weighing heavily on Alyson Stoner, who tearfully remembered the actor.

Panettiere died at age 36 after being found unresponsive on August 16 in Greenville, South Carolina. Authorities responded to a 911 call involving an apparent “overdose” and “cardiac arrest,” though police found no signs of foul play. Her death remains under investigation.

Keep ReadingShow less