Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Dem Rep Perfectly Shames Wall St. Journal For Tone Deaf 'Too Many Asians' Headline

Grace Meng
Michael Brochstein/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images

Grace Meng rips Wall St. Journal for article asking 'Are There Too Many Asians?'

New York Representative Grace Meng called out The Wall Street Journal for publishing a tone-deaf editorial by opinion columnist William McGurn in which McGurn questioned if there are "Too Many Asians."

The editorial was in response to a report from the Chinese government that its population declined for the first time since the 1960s.


McGurn suggested China's one-child policy—which it has in recent years tried to walk back in anticipation of pending demographic shifts—was imported by the West which once opined fewer Asians would need to be born "if humanity is to have a future."

The article has since been retitled "China and the Population Bomb That Wasn’t" but the article and its contents nonetheless angered Meng, who tweeted images of the article and its original headline to her Twitter followers.

She called out The Wall Street Journal's opinion section when she wrote, referencing recent mass shootings in California that specifically targeted members of the Asian community:

"Can you guys just pretend you care about Asian-Americans? It's never ok to put out a headline like this—but especially hurtful this week."

You can see her tweet below.

Many echoed Meng's criticisms and accused The Wall Street Journal of racism and exercising poor editorial judgment.



Anti-Asian sentiment and hate crimes have seen an uptick since the pandemic was politicized by former President Donald Trump and his administration, who regularly referred to the virus as "the China virus."

Last year, a study published in The American Journal of Public Health found Trump’s rhetoric led to a rise of anti-Asian sentiment online.

The study, which reviewed 1.2 million hashtags during the week of March 16, 2020—the first time Trump used the phrase “China virus” in a post—found there was a “massive increase” in use of the hashtag #chinesevirus in reference to the Covid-19 pandemic. #chinesevirus eventually overtook #covid19 in popularity.

Meng herself has previously spoken out about this spike and has described incidents of anti-Asian violence in her neighborhood in New York where she represent's the sixth congressional district, in Queens.

During a 2021 appearance on former Democratic President Bill Clinton's podcast, she said "as a mom, it just breaks [her] heart to have had to talk to my kids" about anti-Asian sentiment and violence, which she said "stems from false information and cowardly acts.”

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less