Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

After Decisive Vote on Tuesday, Maine Governor Defies the Will of the People

Paul LePage
Gabe Souza/Portland Press Herald via Getty Images

The vote wasn't even close.

Republican Maine Governor Paul LePage said Wednesday his administration will not expand Medicaid, a day after voters approved a ballot measure to broaden the program.

On Tuesday, Maine voters approved Medicaid expansion under the Affordable Care Act, or as it's more commonly known, Obamacare. Maine becomes the first state to do so through a referendum. A total of 343,838 ballots were cast, a higher-than-expected turnout in a state with a population barely over 1 million. Medicaid expansion passed by 202,616 to 141,222 or 59% to 41%.


LePage, who is term-limited out of office next year, previously vetoed five Medicaid expansion bills passed by the state’s legislature. Frustrated by inaction, Maineiacs gathered the required signatures to put the referendum on Tuesday's ballot.

Leading up to the vote, LePage made numerous statements accusing the referendum's supporters of lying to voters, but offered no proof. LePage claimed expansion would cost Maine $100 million. After his defeat at the polls, LePage made the same claims.

But LePage's figure is twice what the Maine Legislature’s Office of Fiscal Program and Review, which ranks the cost of bills for the Legislature, estimated. According to their figures, Maine would require $54.4 million and be matched with federal funds of $525 million to provided needed affordable healthcare to about 80,000 people. Nearly 8% of Maine's working poor are still without medical coverage.

Experts question LePage's ability to unilaterally block the initiative from taking effect. Under Maine’s constitution, voter-approved initiatives requiring funding become operable 45 days after the legislature next convenes. That won't happen until Jan. 3, 2018.

After that, the Governor has 90 days to submit the required paperwork to the federal government to implement the expansion.

But this year the Maine Legislature repealed or significantly altered four citizen-initiated measures: ranked choice voting, additional taxes on the richest citizens for public school funding, marijuana legalization and the minimum wage. Those moves angered Maineiacs who approved the measures and some lawmakers. They charged the will of the people and their rights under the Maine constitution are being violated.

Democratic House Speaker Sara Gideon and Senate Minority Leader Troy Jackson both released statements Wednesday criticizing the governor for threatening to block the will of Maine voters again. Meanwhile, as expected, House Republican leader Ken Fredette once again aligned with the governor against the people of Maine.

“When Gov. LePage and his allies tried to defeat Medicaid expansion at the ballot box, Mainers turned out at the ballot box to reject his lies. And we won,” Senator Jackson said.

And when, inevitably, Gov. LePage and Rep. Fredette conspire this year to overturn the voters’ will and take health care away from 80,000 Mainers, we will rise up to resist them. And we will win.”

More from News/political-news

Robert Redford at "The Old Man & the Gun" Press Conference at the Fairmont Royal York Hotel.
Vera Anderson/WireImage via Getty Images

Robert Redford's Daughter Calls Out Fans For Sharing 'Challenging' AI Tributes To Her Late Father

Artificial intelligence tributes have become a growing trend on social media, with users creating videos and images that imagine deceased celebrities in sentimental afterlife scenes. Recent examples have included AI versions of Ozzy Osbourne, Amy Winehouse, Stan Lee, and Michael Jackson.

When Robert Redford died in September at 89, his image quickly joined that wave of digital memorials. For Redford’s family, the surge has made a painful period even harder.

Keep ReadingShow less
Friendsgiving
Drazen Zigic/Getty Images

Straight Guy Gets Epically Dragged After Claiming 'Friendsgiving' Is 'Homosexual' In Bizarre Hot Take

In a shocking turn of events, straight conservative men are feeling their masculinity is under attack by something completely normal: eating food with friends in November.

That's woman sh*t! Or, actually, gay sh*t, according to some conservative weirdo on X who thinks the Thanksgiving tradition of "Friendsgiving" is "homosexual."

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; JB Pritzker
Alex Wroblewski/AFP via Getty Images; Simone Risoluti - Vatican Media via Vatican Pool/Getty Images

Trump Slammed After Rudely Fat-Shaming Illinois Governor JB Pritzker During Turkey Pardon

In keeping with his own traditions, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump once again took what was supposed to be a lighthearted family-friendly occasion and injected it with his brand of bullying.

The POTUS's petty, puerile personality was on full dusplay during the White House's annual Thanksgiving turkey pardoning ceremony on Tuesday. Trump’s target was, as usual, a more popular political rival.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump; pesticides being sprayed on crop in Iowa
Pete Marovich/Getty Images; Charles Ommanney/The Washington Post via Getty Images

Trump Administration Slammed After EPA Approves 'Forever Chemical' Pesticides On Food

In yet another broken promise, the administration of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump has approved two pesticides containing PFAS—a “forever chemical”—as an active ingredient.

As of November 20, Trump's Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had approved a pesticide containing cyclobutrifluram and another containing isocycloseram.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump flanked by Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Images

Trump Family Dragged After Promise Of 'Trump Mobile' Phones 'Made In The USA' Goes Up In Flames

An NBC News investigation reports that Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump did not meet their pledge to launch U.S.-made smartphones through Trump Mobile. The rollout of both the devices and the wireless service missed its August target, and the company has since quietly removed the promise that the phones would be “made in the USA” from its website.

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled on the anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August.

Keep ReadingShow less