Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

MAGA Politician Resigns After Copying Musk's Nazi-Like Salute In Unsettling Video

Screenshot of Laura Smith; Elon Musk
@laurasmith6036/TikTok; Angela Weiss/AFP via Getty Images

Towamencin Township Supervisor Laura Smith has resigned after a TikTok video in which she mimicked the X owner's Nazi-like salute at Trump's inauguration sparked outrage.

Pennsylvania Republican Laura Smith resigned from her position as the Towamencin Township Supervisor after a TikTok video in which she mimicked billionaire Elon Musk's Nazi-like salute at President Donald Trump's inauguration sparked outrage.

Following Trump's swearing-in, Musk spoke at a rally held at D.C.'s Capital One Arena and said:


"Elections come and go, some elections are important, some are not, but this one really mattered. And I just want to say thank you for making it happen. Thank you.”

At this moment, Musk placed his right hand on his chest before extending it outward with his palm facing down and fingers pressed together—a gesture historically known as the “Roman salute.”

This gesture, co-opted by fascist movements in the early 20th century, is most infamously associated with Adolf Hitler and the Nazi Party in Germany. It remains a symbol tied to the far-right, particularly among fascist groups in Italy.

After making the gesture initially, Musk turned to face the crowd seated behind him and, with his back to the camera, repeated the same action before saying:

"My heart goes out to you."

You can see the moment in the video below.

Not long afterward, Smith posted a now-deleted video in which she hit her chest three times and then extended her arm out in front of her in a manner similar to Musk's own salute.

She says, smiling:

“Just checking in on my friends who are struggling this week. My heart goes out to you. Hope you’re doing OK.”

You can see the video below.

On Sunday afternoon, after the video went viral, township officials posted Smith’s resignation letter on the township’s website, stating that the remaining board “intends to accept this resignation at a public meeting as soon as possible.”

In her letter, Smith said her action had been "mischaracterized," adding:

"To allow the Township to move forward without the encumbrance of the fallout of my video, I tender my resignation from the Towamencin Township Board of Supervisors effective immediately.”
“I abhor racism, anti-Semitic or discrimination in any fashion or form and my record as a township supervisor attests to my commitment to treat all people with dignity and respect."

But no one was buying it.


The Philadelphia region’s affiliate of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) condemned the TikTok video as “utterly unacceptable,” emphasizing that Smith’s actions “have impacted and caused harm to the community which must be acknowledged.”

This strong rebuke contrasts with the statement issued by the ADL’s main office in response to Musk’s controversial salute, which described the gesture as an "awkward" one made "in a moment of enthusiasm, not a Nazi salute, but again, we appreciate that people are on edge."

The ADL faced backlash for its statement, with critics accusing the organization of downplaying Musk’s history of amplifying antisemitic and extremist rhetoric, his ties to the far-right Alternative for Germany (AfD) party—known for members using Nazi slogans and minimizing the Holocaust—and the fact that neo-Nazi groups celebrated the salute after the footage went viral.

More from News/political-news

Carrie Coon
HBO

'White Lotus' Star Carrie Coon Reveals Why Scene With Her Character's Nonbinary Child Was Cut

The third season of HBO's The White Lotus hasn't shied away from depicting our dark moment in American politics, but there was one story element that proved a bridge too far, it seems.

In an interview with Harper's Bazaar, actor Carrie Coon said her character Laurie was supposed to have a nonbinary child with they/them pronouns. But the brief scene between her and her child was cut following Trump's election.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/Instagram, Scott Olson/Getty Images

Vivian Wilson Claims Elon Musk's Former Liberal Views Were Just A 'Marketing Scheme'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter Vivian Jenna Wilson set the record straight about the tech billionaire's supposed liberal beginnings, alleging that his persona was merely a ruse and part of a “marketing scheme.”

Wilson, who legally changed her name and identity in 2022 when she was 18, interviewed with YouTuber and Twitch streamer Hasan Piker, who asked her what the "transition was like for your dad to go from a liberal darling…"

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Slammed After Saying He's 'Not Joking' About Running For A Third Term

Republican President Donald Trump was ridiculed for insisting he was "not joking" about running for a third presidential term, which would violate the Constitution under the 22nd Amendment, stating a President cannot be elected beyond a second term.

In an NBC interview Sunday morning, Trump maintained his allies were pushing for a third term for the Trump administration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Donald Trump
Fox News

Trump Ripped For Bonkers Answer After Being Asked To Define What A 'Woman' Is

President Donald Trump was called out after he was asked by a conservative reporter at the end of Women's History Month to give his definition of a "woman"—only to show that he doesn't even know his own talking points let alone those of the wider GOP.

This past Friday, Trump attended the swearing-in ceremony for interim U.S. Attorney for the District of New Jersey, Alina Habba, where he also took questions.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Karoline Leavitt
C-SPAN2

Karoline Leavitt Gives Mind-Boggling Update On Signal Group Chat Scandal—And Critics Are Furious

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt was called out after she dismissed reporters' questions amid revelations that Atlantic editor Jeffrey Goldberg was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials, particularly Vice President JD Vance and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, discussing military strategy surrounding war strikes in Yemen.

Lawmakers from both parties have increased their calls demanding an investigation into the Signal scandal. The latest push came from Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, who on Monday sent a letter to Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard calling for an independent probe.

Keep ReadingShow less