Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Stephen King Puts Warner Bros. On Blast For Shelving Completed 'Salem's Lot' Remake

Stephen King
Rick Kern/WireImage/Getty Images

The horror icon took to X, formerly Twitter, to question the studio's decision not to release a 'quite good' remake of 'Salem's Lot' that was once planned for theatrical release in 2022.

Horror icon Stephen King has raised concerns over the delayed release of Warner Bros.' new film adaptation of his 1975 horror novel, 'Salem's Lot.

'Salem's Lot follows Ben Mears, a writer who revisits the town of Jerusalem's Lot (or 'Salem's Lot) in Maine. Ben spent his childhood there, residing from the ages of five through nine. Upon his return, he discovers that the town's inhabitants are undergoing a transformation into vampires.


The latest adaptation, directed and written by Gary Dauberman, boasts a talented cast, including Makenzie Leigh, Bill Camp, Pilou Asbaek, Alfre Woodard, and William Sadler. Previous adaptations of King's novel include a two-part CBS miniseries in 1979 starring the late David Soul and a TNT limited series in 2004 starring Rob Lowe.

The film was initially set for a theatrical release in September 2022 but has yet to hit the screens in 2024.

Taking to X, formerly Twitter, King expressed his confusion about why the studio is holding back the movie, despite his positive feedback:

"Between you and me, Twitter, I've seen the new SALEM'S LOT and it's quite good. Old-school horror filmmaking: slow build, big payoff."
"Not sure why WB is holding it back; not like it's embarrassing, or anything. Who knows. I just write the f**king things."

You can see King's post below.

Screenshot of Stephen King's post on X@StephenKing/X

Others have also criticized the studio and joined the acclaimed author's call for the film's release.


Last year, King reported that the new adaptation was "currently shelved" but described it as "muscular and involving" with a cinematic feel reminiscent of "Old Hollywood."

His statements followed an article in Variety featuring quotes from inside sources who said the film would likely be streamed on Max, Warner Bros. Discovery's streaming platform.

While the move is attributed to the recent SAG-AFTRA strike, insiders emphasize that it doesn't reflect the film's quality. The strike has created a heightened demand for content on Max, and Salem's Lot is among several Warner Bros. films being considered for this transition.

A Warner Bros. spokesperson clarified, stating that no decision has been finalized regarding the film's distribution plans.

Originally slated for a September 2022 release, the movie, which was shot in Massachusetts in 2021, faced delays due to COVID-related postproduction issues. Despite being moved to spring 2023, it later disappeared from the schedule, sparking speculation it would be a tax write-off similar to 2022's Batgirl.

More from Entertainment/tv-and-movies

Kid Rock
Todd Kirkland/Getty Images

Kid Rock Dragged After Donning A Truly Over-The-Top Outfit For His White House Visit

Singer Kid Rock was slammed for wearing a loud patriotic costume inside the Oval Office as Republican President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday against ticket scalping.

The rocker's outfit consisted of a red, white, and blue jacket emblazoned with two eagles facing each other above the American flag with the number 250, a nod to America's upcoming 250th anniversary, and white stars on his sleeves.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Bill Cassidy
CNBC

MAGA Senator Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud With Epic Freudian Slip About Medicare

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was widely mocked following his inconvenient slip of the tongue during a CNBC interview as he mused about finding ways to "cut" Medicare before quickly correcting himself.

The exchange occurred after host Rebecca Quick pressed Louisiana Republican and former physician Bill Cassidy on how his party intended to fund the “trillion-dollar tax cuts” sought by President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Tim Sheehy
CNN

GOP Senator Gets Blunt Reality Check After Comparing Trump Tariff 'Pain' To Home Renovation

Montana Republican Senator Tim Sheehy was criticized after he tried to compare the "short-term pain" of President Donald Trump's tariffs to home renovation, a claim so ridiculous that CNN's Kaitlan Collins quickly pushed back on the analogy.

Trump has repeatedly referred to April 2 as “Liberation Day,” pledging to impose tariffs—taxes on imports—to reduce U.S. reliance on foreign goods. He has framed these tariffs as “reciprocal,” aiming to match the duties other nations place on American exports.

Keep ReadingShow less
Susan Crawford; Elon Musk
Scott Olson/Getty Images (left and right)

Liberal Wisconsin Judge Calls Out Elon Musk In Victory Speech—And It's Everything

Liberal judge Susan Crawford called out billionaire Elon Musk in her victory speech after winning a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, basking in successfully beating her Republican opponent Brad Schimel and ensuring that the nonpartisan court’s narrow 4-3 liberal majority remains intact despite Musk's efforts to sway the race.

Musk fueled the high-stakes race, having poured more than $20 million into supporting Schimel, according to state campaign records. That includes $3 million to the state Republican Party—$2 million of which was donated just last week. Due to state election laws, large contributions must be funneled through political parties before reaching candidates.

Keep ReadingShow less

People Describe The Worst 'Bonus' They've Ever Gotten At Work

Most of us have worked at one problematic workplace, with reasons ranging from toxic coworkers to terrible bosses to unlivable pay. Sometimes, it feels like a joke that the employees are even being paid at all!

But the biggest joke of all might be the end-of-year bonus, or lack thereof. They're at times so laughable, they take the cake for horrible work conditions, or are quite literally, a slice of cake.

Keep ReadingShow less