Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Tom Petty's Estate Rips Kari Lake For Using Song Without Permission To Promote Her 'Failed Campaign'

Tom Petty; Kari Lake
Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic/Getty Images; John Moore/Getty Images

The late rocker's estate released a statement calling out the failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate.

The estate of late rocker Tom Petty criticized Kari Lake—a QAnon adherent and election denier who was the Republican nominee in Arizona's gubernatorial race—after she used his song "I Won't Back Down" to promote her "failed campaign."

Lake has thus far refused to concede after she officially lost the gubernatorial race to Katie Hobbs, the Arizona Secretary of State whom Lake threatened with imprisonment on baseless and unspecified allegations of criminality related to the 2020 election.


Instead, she's rehashed the playbook made popular by former Republican President Donald Trump, falsely alleging that election fraud took place, and her use of "I Won't Back Down" was her way of making this statement in an ad she released following her loss.

However, Petty's estate says the song "was stolen and used without permission or a license to promote Kari Lake’s failed campaign."

You can see the ad below.

Petty's estate posted a longer statement to the rocker's official Twitter account, saying:

"This is illegal. We are exploring all of our legal options to stop this unauthorized use and to prohibit future misappropriations of Tom’s beloved anthem."
"Thank you to all of the fans who brought this to our attention and who help us protect his legacy every day.”

You can see the official statement below.

As it turns out, Lake's choice of music is her simply mimicking Trump, who was called out by Petty's estate for using the same song when he announced a return to the campaign trail in 2020.

At the time, Petty's estate said that Petty—who made no secret of his progressive politics when he was alive—would have disapproved of Trump's use of the song, saying Trump "was in no way authorized" to use it "to further a campaign that leaves too many Americans and common sense behind."

Lake and her use of the song were immediately criticized.


The criticism from Petty's estate is only the latest example of Lake being called out by an arist who doesn't agree with the political beliefs of the MAGA crowd.

Earlier this year, Twisted Sister rocker Dee Snider lashed out at Lake after learning her campaign had used the band's song "We're Not Going to Take It" at her campaign rallies.

While Snider acknowledged that people don't have to "get permission to play any song at an event," referring to paid licensing agreements that allow venues to legally use an entire catalog of music, he said that he "WILL denounce" those he disagrees with.

Later, he noted the hyper conservative Lake was using a song "NEVER intended for you fascist morons" because the first line is what he called a "PRO-CHOICE anthem."

Lake's campaign was unrepentant, later responding Snider was once "anti-establishment" because he once testified before Congress about music censorship during hearings in the 1990s about the "dangers" of rock music.

More from Trending

Robot dancing and falling
@ErenChenAI/X

Viral Video Of Robot Dancing Like Michael Jackson Before Crashing Hard On Some Stairs As Crowd Looks On Has The Internet Cackling

Videos of robots absolutely losing their minds in hiliarious ways are starting to become a genre all their own, and the latest entry is one heck of a specimen.

The internet is howling at a video of a robot dancing for a crowd to Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" before losing its little robot mind when it ran into some stairs.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump
Kent Nishimura/AFP via Getty Images

The White House Just Praised Trump As 'The President Who Does It All'—And Critics Instantly Turned It Around On Them

On Tuesday, May 19, the White House's social media team decided MAGA Republican President Donald Trump needed an ego boost. So the account posted a photo of the POTUS in front of construction taking place at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for his planned vanity project, an oversized golden ballroom that will dwarf the rest of the White House.

The White House post came just days after Trump shared his own weekend flurry of social media posts praising himself and attacking his perceived enemies.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance
@atrupar/X

JD Vance Just Tried To Call Out Democrats' Hypocrisy Over 'No Kings' For A Completely Mind-Numbing Reason

Vice President JD Vance was roasted after he attempted to accuse Democrats of hypocrisy for supporting the "No Kings" movement even as they applauded King Charles during his recent state visit.

King Charles addressed a joint meeting of Congress last month, becoming only the second British monarch to do so after his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, who spoke in 1991. His speech came as Trump has repeatedly criticized British Prime Minister Keir Starmer over Britain’s refusal to back the U.S.-Israeli war on Iran. The broadly unpopular war has only added to Americans' grievances.

Keep ReadingShow less
John Travolta poses during the Propeller One-Way Night Coach photocall at the 79th annual Cannes Film Festival.
JB Lacroix/FilmMagic

John Travolta Just Explained Why He's Wearing His Much-Memed Berets At The Cannes Film Festival—And It Makes Sense

Among the glamorous gowns, tuxedos, and carefully curated red-carpet looks at Cannes, John Travolta somehow managed to steal attention with a collection of berets. After the photos sparked jokes across social media, the actor offered an explanation that is admittedly more researched than most people expected.

Travolta, 72, addressed the now-viral fashion choice during an interview with CNN, revealing that his repeated beret appearances weren't random. While promoting his directorial debut, Propeller One-Way Night Coach, at the film festival, he rotated through black, brown, and cream berets, often pairing them with wire-frame glasses and a neatly trimmed beard.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jake Lang
Ryan Murphy/Getty Images

Washington Nationals Ban Jan. 6 Rioter After He Unfurls White Nationalist Banner Targeting Immigrants During Game

During the Washington Nationals baseball team's game day "Salute to Service" honoring veterans and those currently serving in the military, a racist White nationalist banner was unfurled in the upper deck.

The banner promoted a far-right website and called for someone to "save America" by deporting over 100 million.

Keep ReadingShow less