Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Jim Jordan's 'Don't Forget' Tweet About Kavanaugh's Confirmation Turns Into Instant Self-Own

Jim Jordan's 'Don't Forget' Tweet About Kavanaugh's Confirmation Turns Into Instant Self-Own
Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

*The following article contains discussion of sexual assault

As Senate confirmation hearings began for Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson, Representative Jim Jordan, an Ohio Republican, posted a "don't forget" message on Twitter urging Republicans to remember "what Democrats did to Brett Kavanaugh."


The tweet, a reference to the Associate Supreme Court Justice who Republicans have long alleged had his confirmation hearing nearly derailed by numerous sexual assault allegations they deemed were false, was highly criticized.

Kavanaugh has denied ever sexually assaulting Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, the Palo Alto University professor who identified herself as the author of a then-anonymous letter alleging that he had assaulted her while at a high school party. Multiple women came forward with their own accounts after Dr. Ford's allegations emerged.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) received considerable pushback in the weeks after the allegations became public in light of the limits placed upon the investigation and the knowledge that the bureau declined to interview the witnesses suggested by the attorneys for Kavanaugh's accusers. Its investigators did not interview Dr. Ford, deeming her Senate testimony sufficient.

Kavanaugh was ultimately confirmed in a 50-48 vote.

Jordan's words prompted many to criticize him for his own behavior, reminding others of his inconsistent story regarding what happened on January 6, 2021, the day a mob of former President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the United States Capitol on the false premise the 2020 general election had been stolen.

Others pointed to the controversy that erupted during his time at Ohio State University, where he served as assistant wrestling coach. Several former wrestlers came forward to say that Jordan had been aware of, but did not respond to, allegations of sexual misconduct by former wrestling team physician Richard Strauss. Jordan has denied the charges.

And still more stressed that Kavanaugh has been accused of sexual assault by several women, and that Jordan and his fellow Republicans looked the other way.



Jordan has changed his story regarding the number of phone calls he exchanged with former President Trump on January 6, recently recalling that he and Florida Republican Representative Matt Gaetz got on a phone call with Trump while the insurrection was underway and asked him to tell his supporters to "stand down."

He added that he was "sure" that one of the phone calls was made in the safe room "because we were in that room forever." However, he said he would have to "think about" whether Gaetz participated or not.

Although Gaetz has not remarked on Jordan's comments directly, a spokesperson told Politico that he speaks with Trump regularly and "doesn't disclose the substance of those discussions with the media."

The intrigue over Jordan's comments intensified after the House Select Committee said it will ask telecommunications companies to preserve the phone records of lawmakers who participated in the "Stop the Steal" rally ahead of the insurrection.

**

If you or someone you know experienced sexual assault, help is out there. You can reach the RAINN National Sexual Assault Hotline by calling 1-800-656-4673, use their Live Chat tool: https://www.rainn.org/get-help, or visit the National Sexual Violence Resource Center’s website.

In Canada, help is available through the Ending Violence Association of Canada website.

International resources can be found through the Rape Crisis Network Europe website.

More from Trending

Alec Baldwin; Elon Musk; Lupita Nyong'o
John Nacion/FilmMagic; Harun Ozalp/Anadolu via Getty Images; Bruce Glikas/WireImage

Alec Baldwin Just Effortlessly Shut Down Elon Musk's Criticism Of Christopher Nolan Casting Lupito Nyong'o In 'The Odyssey'

Once again Hollywood decided to cast a Black woman in a movie and once again conservatives are having a temper tantrum about it—especially Elon Musk.

The far-right weirdo had a full crashout on X about Lupita Nyong'o's casting as Helen of Troy in Christopher Nolan's forthcoming The Odyssey adaptation, leading many to rake him over the coals.

Keep ReadingShow less
Javier Bardem; Donald Trump
Samir Hussein/WireImage; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Javier Bardem Calls Out Trump's 'Male Toxic Behavior' In Fiery NSFW Rant—And He's Spot On

Oscar-winning actor Javier Bardem criticized President Donald Trump and other despotic world leaders at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, condemning the "male toxic behavior" they exhibit on a regular basis.

Bardem spoke while promoting director Rodrigo Sorogoyen's The Beloved, in which he stars as an acclaimed director forced to reckon with his distant relationship with his daughter. Bardem said the film is itself an exploration of toxic masculinity, namely “the bad education that we have received for many ages."

Keep ReadingShow less
Kimberly Guilfoyle
Nicolas Koutsokostas/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Kimberly Guilfoyle Gets Dragged Hard Over Her Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony In Greece For New McDonald's

U.S. Ambassador to Greece Kimberly Guilfoyle was widely mocked after gushing over a new McDonald's location at The Mall in Athens, referring to it as the "most technologically advanced McDonald's in all of Europe."

Guilfoyle took to social media with the following message, sharing photos from the ribbon-cutting ceremony:

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Eric Metaxas
@atrupar/X

Clip Of MAGA Speaker At Prayer Event Claiming God 'Raised Up' Trump To Build His Ballroom Is Peak MAGA

MAGA author and radio host Eric Metaxas was criticized after claiming that God "raised up" President Donald Trump after two centuries so he could build his new White House ballroom.

Last year, Trump ordered the demolition of the entire East Wing to make way for a 90,000 square-foot ballroom that will dwarf the size of the White House itself, sparking alarm from historical preservationists and the public alike.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg; Sean Duffy
CNN; Eric Lee/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Perfectly Shames Sean Duffy Over His 'Road Trip' Reality Show With A Reminder Of His Own 'Taxpayer-Funded Road Trip'

On Friday, May 8, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump's Secretary of Transportation returned to his Fox News stomping grounds to announce a return to his reality TV roots with a five-part YouTube series. Duffy, who was a self-described party boy on MTV's Real World: Boston back in the 1990s, owes his name value to his time on reality TV.

Following his first stint in the Real World franchise, Duffy returned to compete on MTV Road Rules, later meeting his wife, Fox & Friends Weekend co-anchor Rachel Campos-Duffy—herself a notorious hard partier from Real World: San Francisco—on an installment of the program.

Keep ReadingShow less