Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

TikTok Video Shows Amusement Park Ride Workers Questioning Seatbelts Before Teen's Fatal Fall

TikTok Video Shows Amusement Park Ride Workers Questioning Seatbelts Before Teen's Fatal Fall
@moe.david.elk/TikTok

When taking part in the thrill-seeking activity of amusement park rides, there's always a slight fear in the back of everyone's mind that asks, is this safe?

What if I get hurt?


Usually, those fears are unfounded, but in a recent incident a common fear was made real in a tragic way.

14-year-old Tyre Sampson fell to his death on Thursday night from a free-fall amusement park ride at Orlando, Florida's ICON Park.

WESH NBC 2 reported on the tragedy.

youtu.be

Simpson, who was visiting family in the Orlando area from Missouri, was riding on Free-Fall with family when he slipped from his harness and fell to his death.

A video shared on the TikTok page of Moe Elkhatib, who goes by the handle @moe.david.elk, captured a conversation between two people questioning if the seatbelts on the ride had been properly checked.

@moe.david.elk

Visit TikTok to discover videos!

As the ride was beginning to ascend, a voice from off camera could be heard saying "Oh, sh*t", as another voice could be heard asking if the ride attendant checked the seatbelt from the left side.

We can then hear a “no” being uttered as the ride ascended, out of view from the camera.

Viewers were appalled ride attendants could have made such a major and in this case fatal mistake.

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok


@moe.david.elk/TikTok

Some even went so far as to say the ride attendants should be charged for Sampson's death.

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

John Stine, a spokesperson for Slingshot Group who owns the ride, was confused how this tragedy could even take place

As he told CBS News, the ride shouldn't be able to operate if all passengers aren't properly locked in.

"It's very difficult to say what could have gone wrong."
"The way the ride is designed, with all the safety features and redundancy, there shouldn't be an issue."
"We are deeply saddened and sorry."

The operating manual for the ride lists the maximum weight as under 287 pounds.

According to the attorney for Sampson's family, Sampson was over 300 pounds, and thus should not have been allowed on the ride.

WESH 2 reported while the ride included signs showing a minimum height requirement, there were no signs for a maximum weight.

Following the incident, both rides owned by Slingshot Group at ICON Park have been closed until further notice.

A spokesperson for ICON Park said in a statement, the rides will reopen only if they are determined to be safe following an investigation.

"In the interests of public safety, ICON Park demands that the SlingShot Group suspend not only the operation of Orlando FreeFall but also the operation of Orlando SlingShot, effective immediately, continuing until such time as a thorough investigation by the appropriate authorities has been completed and all parties are satisfied that the rides are safe for the public."

ICON Park also expressed their sympathy to Sampson's family and gave their word such a horrific incident will never happen again

"We continue to grieve the passing of Tyre Sampson and our thoughts are with his family and friends."
"This was the saddest day in the history of ICON Park and we’re working hard to make sure this never happens again."

An extended, and very graphic, video capturing Sampson's fall was shared on Twitter, apparently with the approval of Sampson's family.

But Elkhatib strongly encouraged viewers to avoid watching that video in a follow-up on TikTok.

@moe.david.elk

Visit TikTok to discover videos!

The comments were filled with people who expressed their remorse over watching the video of Sampson's death, stating it left them traumatized.

More from Trending

Kid Rock
Todd Kirkland/Getty Images

Kid Rock Dragged After Donning A Truly Over-The-Top Outfit For His White House Visit

Singer Kid Rock was slammed for wearing a loud patriotic costume inside the Oval Office as Republican President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday against ticket scalping.

The rocker's outfit consisted of a red, white, and blue jacket emblazoned with two eagles facing each other above the American flag with the number 250, a nod to America's upcoming 250th anniversary, and white stars on his sleeves.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Bill Cassidy
CNBC

MAGA Senator Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud With Epic Freudian Slip About Medicare

Louisiana Republican Senator Bill Cassidy was widely mocked following his inconvenient slip of the tongue during a CNBC interview as he mused about finding ways to "cut" Medicare before quickly correcting himself.

The exchange occurred after host Rebecca Quick pressed Louisiana Republican and former physician Bill Cassidy on how his party intended to fund the “trillion-dollar tax cuts” sought by President Donald Trump.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Tim Sheehy
CNN

GOP Senator Gets Blunt Reality Check After Comparing Trump Tariff 'Pain' To Home Renovation

Montana Republican Senator Tim Sheehy was criticized after he tried to compare the "short-term pain" of President Donald Trump's tariffs to home renovation, a claim so ridiculous that CNN's Kaitlan Collins quickly pushed back on the analogy.

Trump has repeatedly referred to April 2 as “Liberation Day,” pledging to impose tariffs—taxes on imports—to reduce U.S. reliance on foreign goods. He has framed these tariffs as “reciprocal,” aiming to match the duties other nations place on American exports.

Keep ReadingShow less
Susan Crawford; Elon Musk
Scott Olson/Getty Images (left and right)

Liberal Wisconsin Judge Calls Out Elon Musk In Victory Speech—And It's Everything

Liberal judge Susan Crawford called out billionaire Elon Musk in her victory speech after winning a seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court, basking in successfully beating her Republican opponent Brad Schimel and ensuring that the nonpartisan court’s narrow 4-3 liberal majority remains intact despite Musk's efforts to sway the race.

Musk fueled the high-stakes race, having poured more than $20 million into supporting Schimel, according to state campaign records. That includes $3 million to the state Republican Party—$2 million of which was donated just last week. Due to state election laws, large contributions must be funneled through political parties before reaching candidates.

Keep ReadingShow less

People Describe The Worst 'Bonus' They've Ever Gotten At Work

Most of us have worked at one problematic workplace, with reasons ranging from toxic coworkers to terrible bosses to unlivable pay. Sometimes, it feels like a joke that the employees are even being paid at all!

But the biggest joke of all might be the end-of-year bonus, or lack thereof. They're at times so laughable, they take the cake for horrible work conditions, or are quite literally, a slice of cake.

Keep ReadingShow less