Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

TikTok Video Shows Amusement Park Ride Workers Questioning Seatbelts Before Teen's Fatal Fall

TikTok Video Shows Amusement Park Ride Workers Questioning Seatbelts Before Teen's Fatal Fall
@moe.david.elk/TikTok

When taking part in the thrill-seeking activity of amusement park rides, there's always a slight fear in the back of everyone's mind that asks, is this safe?

What if I get hurt?


Usually, those fears are unfounded, but in a recent incident a common fear was made real in a tragic way.

14-year-old Tyre Sampson fell to his death on Thursday night from a free-fall amusement park ride at Orlando, Florida's ICON Park.

WESH NBC 2 reported on the tragedy.

youtu.be

Simpson, who was visiting family in the Orlando area from Missouri, was riding on Free-Fall with family when he slipped from his harness and fell to his death.

A video shared on the TikTok page of Moe Elkhatib, who goes by the handle @moe.david.elk, captured a conversation between two people questioning if the seatbelts on the ride had been properly checked.

@moe.david.elk

Visit TikTok to discover videos!

As the ride was beginning to ascend, a voice from off camera could be heard saying "Oh, sh*t", as another voice could be heard asking if the ride attendant checked the seatbelt from the left side.

We can then hear a “no” being uttered as the ride ascended, out of view from the camera.

Viewers were appalled ride attendants could have made such a major and in this case fatal mistake.

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok


@moe.david.elk/TikTok

Some even went so far as to say the ride attendants should be charged for Sampson's death.

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

@moe.david.elk/TikTok

John Stine, a spokesperson for Slingshot Group who owns the ride, was confused how this tragedy could even take place

As he told CBS News, the ride shouldn't be able to operate if all passengers aren't properly locked in.

"It's very difficult to say what could have gone wrong."
"The way the ride is designed, with all the safety features and redundancy, there shouldn't be an issue."
"We are deeply saddened and sorry."

The operating manual for the ride lists the maximum weight as under 287 pounds.

According to the attorney for Sampson's family, Sampson was over 300 pounds, and thus should not have been allowed on the ride.

WESH 2 reported while the ride included signs showing a minimum height requirement, there were no signs for a maximum weight.

Following the incident, both rides owned by Slingshot Group at ICON Park have been closed until further notice.

A spokesperson for ICON Park said in a statement, the rides will reopen only if they are determined to be safe following an investigation.

"In the interests of public safety, ICON Park demands that the SlingShot Group suspend not only the operation of Orlando FreeFall but also the operation of Orlando SlingShot, effective immediately, continuing until such time as a thorough investigation by the appropriate authorities has been completed and all parties are satisfied that the rides are safe for the public."

ICON Park also expressed their sympathy to Sampson's family and gave their word such a horrific incident will never happen again

"We continue to grieve the passing of Tyre Sampson and our thoughts are with his family and friends."
"This was the saddest day in the history of ICON Park and we’re working hard to make sure this never happens again."

An extended, and very graphic, video capturing Sampson's fall was shared on Twitter, apparently with the approval of Sampson's family.

But Elkhatib strongly encouraged viewers to avoid watching that video in a follow-up on TikTok.

@moe.david.elk

Visit TikTok to discover videos!

The comments were filled with people who expressed their remorse over watching the video of Sampson's death, stating it left them traumatized.

More from Trending

Jeffrey Goldberg
CNN

Journalist Who Was Invited Into 'War Plans' Group Chat Bluntly Calls Out Trump Administration's Lies

At noon on Monday, The Atlantic's editor-in-chief, Jeffrey Goldberg, published an article about top members of the administration of Republican President Donald Trump discussing national security and military actions on Signal—a free, open-source messaging app.

How did Goldberg know about this serious national security violation?

Keep ReadingShow less
Alexnadria Ocasio-Cortez; Elon Musk
Jason Connolly/AFP via Getty Images; Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

AOC Rips Elon Musk After He Peddles Tired GOP 'Conspiracy Theory' About Rally Crowds

New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez criticized billionaire Elon Musk on X after Musk questioned the legitimacy of the crowd at her recent rally in Denver with Bernie Sanders.

Musk echoed a claim made by right-wing host Mario Nawfal, who alleged that a rally in Denver last week, featuring Ocasio-Cortez and Vermont Independent Senator Bernie Sanders, was attended primarily by professional left-wing protesters affiliated with funded organizations.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson
David M Benett/Dave Benett/WireImage/Getty Images

Samuel L. Jackson Recalls How Sage Advice From Bruce Willis Came True With Marvel Role

It's hard to imagine someone as successful as Samuel L. Jackson taking advice from anyone, no matter how helpful.

Bringing to life characters in Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, and every major superhero franchise including The Incredibles, it seems like Jackson has done it all.

Keep ReadingShow less
Author Dragged After Whining That Target's Fantasy Book Section Only Has 'Chick Lit'
@J0hnADouglas/X

Author Dragged After Whining That Target's Fantasy Book Section Only Has 'Chick Lit'

Author John A. Douglas visited a Target recently and had some opinions to share with his Twitter followers.

In a clip that he filmed and then posted, he showed the Fantasy section of the book shelves at the big box store, which was full of books that he claimed were mostly by women and for women.

Keep ReadingShow less
Parents of the daughter who died from measles
CHD

Texas Parents Whose Daughter Died From Measles Reaffirm That They're Still Anti-Vax

The Texas parents whose 6-year-old unvaccinated daughter died from measles said they have no regrets for not vaccinating their child.

The infected child's preventable death from the virus was the nation's first measles fatality in a decade.

Keep ReadingShow less