Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Mexico Officials Say Fyre Fest 2 'Does Not Exist' Despite Founder's Insistence That It's Happening

Billy McFarland
Theo Wargo/Getty Images

After festival founder Billy McFarland announced that Fyre Fest II would be taking place on the Mexican island of Isla Mujeres, tourism officials spoke out to say that "no person or company has requested permits" for it.

Things aren't boding well for a sequel to the failed Fyre Festival, allegedly set to take place on a Mexican island as previously announced by the music festival's founder, Billy McFarland.

The disgraced event organizer was sentenced to six years in prison for financial crimes tied to the 2017 Fyre Festival on the Bahamian island of Great Exuma, in which he defrauded investors of $27.4 million.


Last month as an attempt at a do-ever, he announced that Fyre 2.0, a "three-day escape to the Mexican Caribbean," was "real."

A flier issued on February 24, 2025, stated the event was scheduled for May 30 to June 2 on Isla Mujeres, an island off of Cancún, Mexico.

However, Mexican tourism officials are claiming that no such festival is happening.

A Facebook statement from the local government on Isla Mujeres, H. Ayuntamiento de Isla Mujeres, read:

"Due to the information circulating in the media regarding the event 'FYRE FESTIVAL II,' the General Directorate of Tourism of Isa Mujeres informs that no person or company has requested permits from this office or any other Municipal Government department for said event."



H. Ayuntamiento de Isla Mujeres/Facebook

McFarland told Today Show co-hosts that he "might have" artists from various music genres, professional skateboarders, and an MMA champion teaching techniques at Fyre Fest 2.

When asked to confirm if he had officially booked them, he said that Fyre was going to announce the artists over the next few months.

He also boldly stated:

"I wanna be one of the first festivals that can sell out with no artists."

His statements failed to convince the public that the event would actually happen.

They were also apprehensive about attending for fear of being duped into spending hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on yet another botched event at which notable music acts canceled appearances, guests slept in tents when they were promised better accommodations, and were fed box lunches instead of gourmet meals.

McFarland responded to the skepticism on Instagram with a "really important Fyre update" after his announcement was "twisted" by journalists.

He explained:

“First, Fyre 2 is real. Second, we have incredible partners leading the festival."
"They’re in charge of all the logistics, productions, and operations."
"This includes an incredible production team in Mexico who does not eff around. There is no way they would ever take on a fake festival.”

He also said accommodations are being offered to festival-goers, which “include contracts, the number of villas, yachts and hotels."


According to the event's release statement, live events producer Longnights will be “crafting extraordinary, one-of-a-kind experiences” and multiple ticketing companies will create 'hospitality packages.' ”

@pyrtbilly/X

McFarland continued, stating in his Instagram message:

“My partners and I have remained in communication with local and state governments to ensure full compliance and a successful event that benefits the local economy, shares the beauty of the Mexican Caribbean with the world and helps make right for all the wrongs.”

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

Instagrammer @janamattox, who claims to live in Isla Mujeres and owns a company in the event business there, maintained:

"I can tell you everything [McFarland] is saying is a lie 😂 There is not going to be a festival here."
"The hotels weren’t cancelled by him- he never had them to begin with. The government hasn’t been contacted for anything- and now they will not touch this event, and no one here wants this event associated with the island."
"For those who don’t know, the island is 5 miles long and at its widest point is less than a mile wide. We don’t even have hotels or businesses here that can hold events even half this size."

"I think this dude literally closed his eyes, pointed to a spot on a map & was like 'ok I landed on isla mujeres Mx…let’s run with it," they quipped, and added that "This video is laughable!"

On February 27, Edgar Gasca, from the tourism directorate of Isla Mujeres, contradicted the comments McFarland made in his video statement.

Gasca told the Guardian:

"We have no knowledge of this event, nor contact with any person or company about it. For us, this is an event that does not exist.”

Impression Isla Mujeres, one of the luxury resorts listed as an accommodation option for attendees, told the Guardian that it had not received “any approach or enquiry with regards to the event.”

Gasca denounced the festival organizers for not even bothering “to approach the authorities" in planning the event, saying:

“It’s very strange, because any manager knows that if you’re going to hold an event, let alone a massive event, you need municipal authorisation."

“I think they thought they would just announce it and see if it got traction, then ask for the permits halfway down the path. It’s a bit of a naive way to think," Gasca added.

Social media users predict that history will repeat itself.

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

@pyrtbilly/Instagram

Pre-sale tickets offering packages range from $1,400 for general admission to as high as $1 million for the luxury packages that include a yacht or a villa.

Is anyone buying any of this?

More from Trending

Screenshots from @mike.ali32's TikTok video
@mike.ali32/TikTok

TikToker Goes Viral For Yelling Out Fast Food Slogans After Buying Their Food—And The Reactions Are Priceless

We're supposed to go through life loving the people that we love so loudly that they can never doubt how much we love them. Maybe that's how we should approach the things and companies we love, too.

At least, that seems to be the approach that TikToker @mike.ali32 is taking.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @withethanlap's TikTok video
@withethanlap/TikTok

Guy Turns His Pregnant Wife's Extreme Text Messages Into A Hilariously Perfect Pop Punk Song—And It's A Banger

Anyone who has gone through pregnancy or is close to someone who has knows that the symptoms are truly no joke, and going from one day to the next can feel like an absolute rollercoaster.

Comedian and TikToker Ethan Lapierre's wife shared with him some of her symptoms, sometimes texting him that she was hungry but couldn't eat, and other times feeling like she was dying.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @missyhalleonig's TikTok video
@missyhalleonig/TikTok

A New Parenting Hack For Getting Toddlers To Stop Their Tantrums Has People In Disbelief That It Actually Kinda Works

Parents might not want to admit it, but when their toddlers are tantruming, there's nothing quite like finding a way to hilariously redirect or confuse them to help stop the tears.

In a hilarious parenting hack that's taking over TikTok, videos are appearing that all mysteriously star a woman named "Jessica," though no one can seem to find her.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @legallyswifite13's TikTok video
@legallyswifite13/TikTok

Woman Sparks Debate After Accusing Frontier Airlines Of Kicking Her Off Flight For Being Deaf

Let this Frontier Airlines saga be a reminder to all of us that not all disabilities and needs are visible, so when a person requests accommodations, it's better to believe them.

TikToker @legallyswiftie13 posted in 2024 that, though she was in her early twenties, she discovered that she would be rapidly losing her hearing, which was discovered at a routine medical check-up. Though she could still speak and hear, it would become increasingly difficult for her to hear, especially when there were competing noises in the area.

Keep ReadingShow less
Ben Sasse
60 Minutes/CBS News

Former GOP Senator Gets Brutal Wakeup Call After Criticizing People For Playing 'Candy Crush' Instead Of 'Making Babies'

Ben Sasse represented Nebraska in the United States Senate from 2015 to 2023. As a Midwestern moderate, the sometimes controversial Sasse was often critical of MAGA Republican President Donald Trump on social media and on the Senate floor.

At one point, the Nebraska GOP censured him because of his criticism of Trump. But Sasse, like Maine Republican Senator Susan Collins, would still vote with the majority of his party when his vote was needed to back Trump's agenda.

Keep ReadingShow less