Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Fresno Principal Who Quit After Shoving Special Needs Student To The Ground Faces Charges

Fresno Principal Who Quit After Shoving Special Needs Student To The Ground Faces Charges
CBS47 KSEE24/YouTube

A former elementary school principal in Fresno, California, was charged with the misdemeanor of "cruelty to child by endangering health" for aggressively shoving an African American special needs student to the ground.

Surveillance footage of the incident, which occurred on June 7 and was released earlier this week by the Fresno Unified School District, showed former Wolters Elementary School Principal Brian Vollhardt violently pushing a 9-year-old to the ground in the school cafeteria.


It is unclear what prompted Vollhardt to respond with such force, but the clip shows the student gesturing and pointing toward him twice before being pushed to the ground.

There is no audio in the footage and the student's face has been blurred.

You can see a news report in the clip below.

Warning: physical violence.

FUSD Former school principal facing charges after allegedly attacking special needs kidyoutu.be


In a news conference on Wednesday, Fresno Unified Superintendent Bob Nelson told reporters:

"Instead of de-escalating the situation, which is what we expect of an educator in our system, the former principal chose to aggressively shove the student down instead."


The child's guardian, Ann Frank, told CNN affiliate KFSN that the case lingered until she complained about the lack of charges.

Frank said:

"You cannot put force to these kids like that."
"My son is autistic. Any parents seeing this video, they know what I'm feeling right now."
"My son was pushed with force by this principal who was supposed to protect him."

Vollhardt said the student "was yelling and getting in the principal/suspect's face" while making threats, according to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by KFSN.

Vollhardt self-reported the incident and was put on administrative leave on June 8 after the district was made aware of his behavior.

Nelson noted that the district also notified Fresno Police and Child Protective Services.

Before the district could complete an investigation, Vollhardt resigned.

He was later hired as a vice principal at Tranquility High School in the Golden Plains Unified School District (GPUSD).

Martin Marcias, the GPUSD Superintendent, said Vollhardt was placed on administrative leave after they found out about the June 7 incident on Wednesday.

A Fresno Unified Trustee told CBS47 this was not the first time Vollhardt had a confrontation with African Americans.

The trustee said Vollhardt pinned the same child to the ground for several minutes back in May.

Superintendent Nelson added at the press conference:

"Let me be very clear, unequivocal on this matter, that there is no excuse for repugnant behavior such as this."

More from News

Steve-O
Gilbert Carrasquillo/GC Images/Getty Images

'Jackass' Star Steve-O Apologizes After His 'Sarcastic' Comments About Immigrants Spark Heated Backlash

Comedian and actor Steve-O—best known for MTV's early 2000s stunt/prank show Jackass and the subsequent film franchise of the same name as well as the spinoff Wildboyz—has drawn backlash over comments he made on his podcast Steve-O's Wild Ride!

Speaking on the February 3 episode with Canadian comedian Harland Williams, Steve-O asked:

Keep ReadingShow less
Andy Ogles; Bad Bunny
Heather Diehl/Getty Images; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

MAGA Rep. Dragged After Claiming Bad Bunny's Halftime Show Depicted 'Gay Pornography'

Tennessee Republican Representative Andy Ogles was widely mocked after he claimed Bad Bunny's Super Bowl halftime show was "pure smut" that depicted "gay pornography"—even going so far as to write a letter to the Energy and Commerce Committee demanding "a formal congressional inquiry" into the "indecent broadcast."

The rapper, whose real name is Benito Antonio Martínez Ocasio, delivered a largely Spanish-language show that has been hailed as a "love letter to Puerto Rico" and that drew from his latest album, Debí Tirar Más Fotos, which won the Grammy for Album of the Year just a week ago.

Keep ReadingShow less
Chris Brown (left) and Bad Bunny (right) are pictured separately amid online backlash and praise following Bad Bunny’s record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Marc Piasecki/WireImage; Neilson Barnard/Getty Images

Chris Brown Slammed After Appearing To Throw Bizarre Shade At Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Bad Bunny’s record-breaking halftime show pulled in over 135 million viewers—fans, stans, casual watchers, and yes, professional haters who tune in just to be mad. Which brings me to the loudest one in the room: Chris Brown.

Brown took to social media to offer an unsolicited—and frankly bizarre—reaction to the Puerto Rico-inspired performance, posting a cryptic message that immediately rubbed people the wrong way.

Keep ReadingShow less
Todd Richards; Big Air Snowboarder Seungeun Yu
@btoddrichards/Instagram; Ulrik Pedersen/NurPhoto via Getty Images

NBC Broadcaster Speaks Out After He's Caught On Hot Mic Trashing Men's Snowboarding Competition At Olympics

Well, we've officially got our first hot mic oopsie of the 2026 Milano Cortina Olympics!

Broadcaster Todd Richards took to Instagram Sunday to apologize for comments he made during the men's big air snowboarding event that he didn't realize were being broadcast.

Keep ReadingShow less
Amber Glenn; Donald Trump
Andy Cheung/Getty Images; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Olympic Figure Skater Reveals 'Scary Amount' Of Threats She Got After Her Criticism Of Trump

Amber Glenn, the first openly queer woman to represent the U.S. in figure skating, spoke out in an Instagram post about the torrent of threats she's received after criticizing President Donald Trump's treatment of the LGBTQ+ community.

Glenn had voiced criticism of the Trump administration earlier in the week during a pre-Olympics press conference, describing the period as especially difficult for herself and others in the LGBTQ+ community. Her comments were among several political statements made by U.S. athletes in the run-up to the Winter Games in Milan, Italy.

Keep ReadingShow less