Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Canadian Leader Trolls Trump's Statehood Offer With A Brilliant 'Counteroffer' Of His Own

Doug Ford; Donald Trump
Vince Talotta/Toronto Star via Getty Images; Scott Olson/Getty Images

Ontario Premier Doug Ford shut down Trump's offer to make Canada part of the United States before jokingly making a "counteroffer" to instead buy a few states instead.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford shut down President-elect Donald Trump's bizarre threat to make Canada part of the United States before jokingly making a "counteroffer" to buy a few states instead.

Ford's response is the latest development since Trump made headlines for jabbing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with remarks about Canadian statehood.


Trump, who first brought up the idea during a November meeting with Trudeau at Mar-a-Lago over Trump's threat to impose 25% tariffs on Canada and Mexico because of their alleged failures to curb the flow of illegal immigrants and illicit drugs into the U.S., has since inflamed tensions by referring to Trudeau as the governor of the “great state of Canada."

Trump also said he would use "economic force" instead of "military force" to annex the country, saying:

“You get rid of the artificially drawn line and you take a look at what that looks like and it would also be much better national security. Don’t forget: We basically protect Canada." ...
"You get rid of that artificially drawn line, and you take a look at what that looks like, and it would also be much better for national security. Canada and the United States, that would really be something."

In response to Trump's remarks about annexing Canada, Ford gave the following snarky response:

"We have the greatest country in the world [and] we have the greatest province anywhere. This sovereign nation is Ontario and the rest of the provinces as well."
“You know something, to the president, I’ll make him a counteroffer. How about if we buy Alaska, and we’ll throw in Minnesota and Minneapolis at the same time?"
"It’s not realistic. I know he likes making these comments and he likes joking around. I take that seriously. Under my watch, that will never, ever happen."

Unlike Trump, Ford was quick to note that he himself was joking, noting that "We’re proud Canadians just like Americans are proud."

You can hear what he said in the video below.

Many appreciated Ford's response and joined him in mocking Trump.



Trump has not backed down and earlier made the bogus claim in a post on Truth Social that “Many people in Canada LOVE being the 51st State," adding that the U.S. "can no longer suffer the massive Trade Deficits and Subsidies that Canada needs to stay afloat. Justin Trudeau knew this, and resigned.”

Trump's words came after Trudeau announced his resignation, stating he would remain in office until the governing Liberal Party selects a new leader, a process expected to conclude by late March. Canada's Parliament has been prorogued, or temporarily suspended, until March 24 to allow time for the leadership race.

His assertion that Canadians "LOVE being the 51st State" isn't based in reality and is likely based at least in part on "unofficial polling" aired on Fox News that "more than 70%" of Canadians might be open to an arrangement where Canada merges economically with the U.S. while maintaining its sovereignty.

However, more formal polling from Canadian market research firm Leger paints a different picture. In a survey conducted earlier this month, only 13% of Canadians expressed interest in the idea of Canada becoming the 51st U.S. state, while 82% were opposed to the notion.

More from News/political-news

A swarm of bees; Donald Trump
Denise Taylor/Getty Images; Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images

Thousands Of Bees Just Swarmed North Lawn Of The White House—And Everyone's Thinking The Same Thing

Social media users had the same ominous biblical thought after a massive swarm of bees invaded the White House grounds on Friday, just weeks after First Lady Melania Trump added new bee colonies on the property.

The swarm of bees caused a stir after numerous black dots were spotted near the press corps’ Pebble Beach media area on the North Lawn. About 20 minutes later, the bees clustered into a hive on a nearby tree.

Keep ReadingShow less
Anderson Cooper reflects on his nearly 20-year run with 60 Minutes during an emotional farewell segment.
60 Minutes / YouTube

Anderson Cooper Signs Off After 20 Years On '60 Minutes' With Emotional Farewell Message

For viewers who have spent years watching Anderson Cooper's reports on 60 Minutes, Sunday marked the end of an era. The longtime correspondent officially signed off from the CBS newsmagazine after nearly 20 years, sharing an emotional farewell as he looked back on his career and the family considerations behind his decision to leave.

The exit comes three months after Cooper, 58, announced he would be stepping away from the renowned television newsmagazine to spend more time with his children.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from X user @mattewivan77's video
@matthewivan77/X

Viral Video Of Two Kids In A Trench Coat Pretending To Be An Adult To Try To Get Into Movie Has The Internet Howling

There's nothing quite like seeing art recreated in life, especially when it feels like some of our favorite characters have stepped directly out of their TV show or film into our lives.

Last weekend, X user Matthew Ivan had one such experience as he was leaving the AMC Lincoln Square in New York City. As he was going down the escalator after seeing a movie, he witnessed something truly surreal at the ticket booth: two kids positioned on top of each other in a trench coat, attempting—and failing—to look like one person.

Keep ReadingShow less
Gavin Newsom; Kash Patel
Jim Watson/AFP via Getty Images; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

Gavin Newsom Gives Kash Patel Brutal New Nickname Following Report He Flew His Girlfriend To George Strait Concert On FBI Jet

Following a report that FBI Director Kash Patel flew his girlfriend on an FBI jet to see a George Strait concert, California Governor Gavin Newsom mocked him by giving him an apt new nickname.

According to The New York Times, which cited flight records, Freedom of Information Act documents, and interviews with more than a dozen current and former FBI and law enforcement officials, Patel has frequently combined official travel with personal trips involving his girlfriend, country singer Alexis Wilkins.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Donald Trump and David Sanger
@atrupar/X; CNN

'New York Times' Reporter Fires Back After Trump Calls His Iran War Reporting 'Treason' During Air Force One Melt Down

New York Times journalist David Sanger affirmed that "reporting is not treason" after President Donald Trump accused him of committing "treason" by reporting on his war with Iran during a meltdown aboard Air Force One.

During Trump's flight back from China, Sanger, the White House and national security correspondent for the Times, pressed Trump on the rationale for continuing the bombing campaign, asking what purpose another round of strikes would serve given that “38 days” of bombing had failed to produce political change in Iran.

Keep ReadingShow less