Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Ted Cruz Just Reignited His Bizarre Feud With 'Sesame Street' After Elmo Got Vaccinated

Ted Cruz Just Reignited His Bizarre Feud With 'Sesame Street' After Elmo Got Vaccinated
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images; @sesamestreet/Twitter

Texas Republican Senator Ted Cruz was soundly mocked for reigniting his bizarre feud with Sesame Street after Elmo, everyone's favorite furry red monster, announced that he'd gotten vaccinated against COVID-19.

In a video that was posted to social media by Sesame Street and made in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Ad Council, and the COVID Collaborative's COVID-19 Vaccine Education Initiative, Elmo showed children a bandage on his arm, noting that there had been "a little pinch" when he got his vaccine, but that it had been fine.


Elmo's father Louie then said that he had "a lot of questions about Elmo getting the COVID vaccine," adding:

"Was it safe? Was it the right decision? I talked to our pediatrician so I could make the right choice."
"I learned that Elmo getting vaccinated is the best way to keep himself, our friends, neighbors and everyone else healthy and enjoying the things they love."

You can watch the segment in the video below.

But the video angered Cruz, who took to social media to denounce it, accusing Sesame Street of using Elmo to "aggressively advocate for vaccinating children UNDER 5."

Cruz went on to claim that there is "ZERO scientific evidence" to support vaccinating children under five years of age and directed his followers to his campaign website to learn more.

Cruz is wrong, however.

Earlier this month, the CDC signed off on vaccines for children under five after a long period of testing and research.

On June 18, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the CDC Director, recommended that all children 6 months through 5 years of age should receive a COVID-19 vaccine.

In its official press release, the CDC noted that the announcement officially "expands eligibility for vaccination to nearly 20 million additional children and means that all Americans ages 6 months and older are now eligible for vaccination," adding:

"Parents and caregivers can now get their children 6 months through 5 years of age vaccinated with the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines to better protect them from COVID-19. All children, including children who have already had COVID-19, should get vaccinated."
"COVID-19 vaccines have undergone—and will continue to undergo—the most intensive safety monitoring in U.S. history."
"Parents and caregivers can play an active role in monitoring the safety of these vaccines by signing their children up for v-safe – personalized and confidential health check-ins via text messages and web surveys where they can easily share with CDC how a child feels after getting a COVID-19 vaccine."

Cruz was harshly criticized.






Cruz previously made headlines for attacking Sesame Street last year after Big Bird announced on Twitter that he'd been vaccinated.

In a tweet, Big Bird said that while his "wing is feeling a little sore," he knows the vaccine will give his "body an extra protective boost that keeps me and others healthy."

Big Bird's announcement drew Cruz's ire and he later took to social media to criticize the announcement, which he claimed was evidence of "Government propaganda... for your 5 year old."

More from Trending

James Van Der Beek
Vivien Killilea/WarnerMedia and AT&T/Getty Images

GoFundMe For James Van Der Beek's Family Sparks Debate About U.S. Healthcare After Amassing Over $1.5 Million

Though Dawson's Creek's James Van Der Beek has only just tragically passed away at the age of 48, his family has had to start making financial plans amid their grief.

While going through cancer treatment, it became public knowledge that Van Der Beek was auctioning off much of his memorabilia from Dawson's Creek and other big products to cover the high costs of his cancer treatment. Though Cobra Kai star Paul Walter stepped in at the time and started a Cameo account to help offset those remaining medical costs, the debt continued to mount.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jill Zarin (left) criticized Bad Bunny (right) after his record-breaking Super Bowl halftime performance.
Sara Jaye/Getty Images; Todd Rosenberg/Getty Images

Former Reality Star Fired From New Show After Going On Racist Tirade About Bad Bunny's Halftime Show

Real Housewives OG Jill Zarin may need to add “fired again” to her Bravo résumé after production axed her from the upcoming E! reality docuseries The Golden Life, which stars fellow RHONY originals Luann de Lesseps, Ramona Singer, Kelly Bensimon, and Sonja Morgan.

Zarin appeared on The Real Housewives of New York from 2008 to 2011, quickly branding herself the group’s truth-teller, a role that often blurred into pot-stirrer, grudge-holder, and reunion-stage detonator.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump receiving "Undisputed Champion of Coal" award
Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

Trump Dragged After Getting Yet Another Meaningless Award To Placate His Fragile Ego

Yet another group has taken advantage of one of the thinnest-skinned individual's fragile ego to manipulate the current President of the United States.

Joining politicians, foreign nations, foreign billionaires, corporations, and international organizations, the coal industry created a new shiny trinket for MAGA Republican President Donald Trump. On Wednesday, they awarded Trump the completely-not-made-up-just-to-appease-the-POTUS "Undisputed Champion of Beautiful Clean Coal" award.

Keep ReadingShow less
Volodymyr Zelenskyy; Vladyslav Heraskevych
Sergei Supinsky/AFP via Getty Images; Robert Michael/Picture Alliance via Getty Images

Zelenksyy Slams Olympics For Disqualifying Ukrainian Athlete Over Helmet Honoring Athletes Killed In War

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke out after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) disqualified Ukrainian skeleton racer Vladyslav Heraskevych for insisting on wearing a helmet painted with the faces of Ukrainian athletes killed by Russia since its 2022 invasion.

Yesterday, the IOC announced that Heraskevych would be barred from competing in that day’s skeleton events in Cortina, citing his refusal to abide by the IOC’s "guidelines on athlete expression." IOC President Kirsty Coventry personally weighed in on the ruling to sideline Heraskevych, saying she "felt it was really important to come and talk to him face-to-face."

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Mark Kelly; Pete Hegseth
@SenMarkKelly/X; Patrick Smith/Getty Images

Mark Kelly Speaks Out In Blistering Video After Judge Rules Pete Hegseth Violated Constitution By Trying To Punish Him

Arizona Democratic Senator Mark Kelly spoke out in a video on social media after a federal judge ruled that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth violated the U.S. Constitution by attempting to retaliate against Kelly for urging U.S. service members to refuse illegal orders.

Hegseth previously sparked outrage after announcing an investigation into Kelly—a former U.S. Navy captain and astronaut—for "serious allegations of misconduct" after Kelly joined five other members of Congress in a video reminding U.S. military members that they took an oath to obey the U.S. Constitution and can disobey illegal orders.

Keep ReadingShow less