Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Billy Porter Offers Apology To Harry Styles For Attacking His 'Vogue' Cover: 'It's Not About You'

Billy Porter Offers Apology To Harry Styles For Attacking His 'Vogue' Cover: 'It's Not About You'
David M. Benett/Dave Benett/Getty Images, Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for HS)

Pose actor Billy Porter publicly apologized to pop singer Harry Styles. Porter has faced backlash for a comment he made last year about Vogue Magazine featuring the "Watermelon Sugar" singer on its cover.



Last October, Styles became Vogue's first male solo to grace the cover of the iconic fashion and lifestyle magazine, and he did it flawlessly in a fabulous Gucci gown.

While his gender-breaking portraiture incurred the wrath of conservative critics like Candace Owens, who encouraged toxic masculinity with her "Bring back manly men" comment, many celebrities and social media influencers supported Vogue and the former One Direction singer.

But Porter, who is a prominently gay, gender-bending fashion icon, was not happy with Vogue for promoting Styles' sartorial aesthetic.

The actor told The Sunday Times, "I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to," adding, "I'm not necessarily convinced and here is why."

"I created the conversation [about gender-fluid fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time."



He suggested that selecting a famous, white pop singer for the cover was insulting, as Styles has not worked to establish non-binary fashion.

"I'm not dragging Harry Styles," Porter emphasized.

"But he is the one you're going to try and use to represent this new conversation? He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do."

delete


Now that the dust has settled since the heated conversation, Porter clarified his statement about Styles and apologized to him during an interview with Stephen Colbert on November 6.


"The first thing I wanna say is, Harry Styles, I apologize to you for having your name in my mouth. It's not about you," said Porter.

"The conversation is not about you. The conversation is actually deeper than that. It's about the systems of oppression and erasure of people of color who contribute to the culture."





He admitted that it was a "lot to unpack," but added he was willing to revisit the conversation "sans the dragging and cancel culture of the internet because I do not now, nor will I ever, adjudicate my life—or humanity—in soundbites on social media."

"So when you're ready to have the real conversation, call a b*tch," he said while fanning himself with a Pride fan.

He finished the segment, saying:

"I'm sorry, Harry. I didn't mean no harm. I'm a gay man. We like Harry, he's cute."

More from Entertainment

Hillary Clinton
Kimberly White/Getty Images for Common Sense Media

Hillary Clinton Has Iconic Reaction To Trump Administration's 'Atlantic' Text Scandal

Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had a succinct response after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Vivian Jenna Wilson; Elon Musk
@vivllainous/TikTok; Samuel Corum/Getty Images

Elon Musk's Trans Daughter Epically Claps Back After Musk Claims His Child 'Died'

Elon Musk's estranged trans daughter, Vivian Jenna Wilson, used an iconic soundbite from RuPaul's Drag Race to clap back at Musk's claim that his child had "died."

The SpaceX co-founder responded to a post on X (formerly Twitter) defending Musk for appearing to give the Nazi salute twice at Republican President Donald Trump's inauguration.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of Mike Myers and Mark Carney
@MarkJCarney/X

Mike Myers Joins Canada's New Prime Minister For Epic Jab At Trump In Viral Video

Actor and comedian Mike Myers has gone viral after joining Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney for a video message that mocks President Donald Trump and his plan to make Canada the 51st state of the United States.

In the Liberal Party skit, Mike Myers and Mark Carney—both dressed in red Canada jerseys—share a moment at a hockey practice. Carney starts off skeptical of Myers, questioning his Canadian credentials since he now lives in the United States, despite being born and raised in Canada.

Keep ReadingShow less
Pete Buttigieg
Alex Wong/Getty Images

Pete Buttigieg Drops F-Bombs After Trump Administration Invites Journalist Into High-Level Military Group Chat

Former Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg passionately spoke out after Jeffrey Goldberg—the editor-in-chief of The Atlantic—revealed he was invited into a Signal chat with high-level Trump administration officials discussing military strategy surrounding their war strikes in Yemen.

Goldberg revealed a highly unusual and concerning situation where senior Trump administration officials were allegedly discussing war plans over a group chat on Signal. Goldberg recounted that Representative Mike Waltz added him to an 18-person group chat, which he initially suspected was a hoax or disinformation campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump with Easter bunny at 2017 Easter egg roll
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Trump Blasted After Turning Annual White House Easter Tradition Into Corporate Grift

President Donald Trump has sparked concerns from ethics experts after soliciting corporate sponsors for the annual White House Easter Egg Roll.

Potential sponsors of the April 21 event were presented with three sponsorship options ranging from $75,000 to $200,000, according to a nine-page guide reviewed by The New York Times.

Keep ReadingShow less