Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Angela Bassett Opens Up About Her 'Supreme Disappointment' After Losing At The 2023 Oscars

Angela Bassett
OWN / YouTube

The actor, who was awarded an honorary Oscar this year, reflected on her loss last year for her role in 'Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,' which many predicted she would win.

Actor Angela Bassett has opened up about the big Oscars moment that wasn't—her loss of the 2023 Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.

Bassett was widely favored to win the award last year for her performance as Queen Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, but lost to Jamie Lee Curtis for Everything Everywhere All At Once.


In a recent sit-down with Oprah Winfrey, Bassett, who was awarded an honorary Oscar this year, revealed that her viral facial reaction during the ceremony revealed a "supreme disappointment" at her loss.

Angela Bassett on How She Handled The Disappointment of Not Winning an Oscar | OWN Spotlight | OWNyoutu.be

Bassett was previously nominated in 1994 for the Tina Turner biopic What's Love Got To Do With It, and had swept many of the early awards last year that lead up to and often predict the Oscars, like the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards.

Curtis' surprise win left many shocked, and Bassett's reaction in the moment instantly went viral after what many saw as a "shady," withering glance in Curtis' direction.

You can see the moment below:

Jamie Lee Curtis Wins Best Supporting Actress for 'Everything Everywhere All at Once' | 95th Oscarsyoutu.be

But Bassett told Winfrey that her reaction was anything but sour grapes. Rather, it was just simple human disappointment.

“I was gobsmacked. I thought I handled it very well, and that was my intention: to handle it very well."
"It was, of course, a supreme disappointment, and disappointment is human, so yes, I was disappointed, and I handled it like a human being.”

Winfrey concurred, saying that she didn't understand the viral uproar over Bassett's face, describing it as a natural reaction to a shocking upset.

Bassett agreed, and said her main concern was modeling a gracious loss for her children, who attended the ceremony with her.

“Absolutely. For myself and for my children, who were there with me, yes..."
"There are going to be these moments of disappointment that they are going to experience. But how do you handle yourself in the midst of them?"
"We’re going to smile, we’re going to be gracious, we’re going to be kind — we got a party, anyway.”

On social media, fans were supportive of Bassett.



And Bassett's loss was on many fans' minds during this year's Oscars, especially since her Honorary Oscar win speech was not included in the telecast.




Bassett is currently starring in a new season of the ABC series 911 and lent her voice to the fittingly named National Geographic documentary Queens, currently streaming on Hulu and Disney+.

More from Entertainment/celebrities

Screenshot from Kelli Klement's TikTok video; Child stressed out on flight
@kelliklement8/TikTok; Cunaplus_M.Faba/Getty Images

Dad Sparks Debate After Leaving Young Son Alone To Sit Between Two Strangers On Flight

Can we all agree that parents who leave their children in the care of women, simply because they're women, are among the biggest "parenting fail" candidates?

TikToker Kelli Klement recently boarded a flight and sat down in a row of three seats, with another woman sitting at the other end of the row, leaving the seat between them empty.

Keep ReadingShow less
Donald Trump signing executive order flanked by children "signing" the same thing
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Trump Ripped For Using Children As Props In Bizarre Signing Ceremony To Dismantle Education Department

President Donald Trump was criticized after he used children as props during a dystopian signing ceremony to officially begin the process of dismantling the Department of Education (DOE).

Trump signed an executive order on Thursday directing Education Secretary Linda McMahon to begin dismantling the DOE—an apparent attempt to bypass Congressional approval, which is required to formally shut down a federal agency.

Keep ReadingShow less
Jesse Watters
Fox News

Jesse Watters Dragged After Adding Another Mind-Boggling Rule For 'Real Men'

Fox News host Jesse Watters, who is apparently an authority of what it means to be a manly man, gave jazz hands to make a point about how "real men" should or shouldn't wave.

The target of his ridicule was Tim Walz, the enthusiastic Democratic Minnesota governor and vice presidential candidate who often greets the public by raising both hands in the air to wave.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots of crowd at town hall and Rep. Mike Flood
@MorePerfectUS/X; KETV NewsWatch 7

GOP Rep. Goes Viral For His Response To Crowd Chanting 'Tax The Rich' At Town Hall

Nebraska Republican Representative Mike Flood was criticized following his incredulous response to a crowd that chanted "Tax the rich!" during a town hall meeting.

The Columbus High School auditorium hosted the town hall on Tuesday evening, drawing "nearly 380" attendees, according to local network KETV Omaha. The event was lively, with Flood facing both sharp criticism over Trump administration policies and some appreciation for showing up in person.

Keep ReadingShow less
Elon Musk
Andrew Harnik/Getty Images

Awkward Typo In Elon Musk's Bizarre 'Education Department' Trump Meme Is A Total Self-Own

Billionaire Elon Musk was widely mocked after he celebrated President Donald Trump's executive order to begin to dismantle the Department of Education (DOE) by posting a meme of Trump at the department's grave, only for an awkward misspelling to get all the attention.

Polling indicates that eliminating the Education Department is largely unpopular, with 60% of registered voters opposing the move, according to a Quinnipiac University survey conducted March 6-10. Support stands at 33%, with opposition particularly strong among Democrats—98% oppose it, while just 1% support it.

Keep ReadingShow less