Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Aaron Sorkin Reveals He Had A Massive Stroke In November And Was 'Supposed To Be Dead'

Aaron Sorkin
Jon Kopaloff/Getty Images

The 'West Wing' screenwriter was worried he'd never be able to write again after the health scare.

In an interview with The New York Times, Oscar winner Aaron Sorkin revealed he suffered a stroke back in November while he was writing the new book for the Broadway musical Camelot. After the stroke, the Social Network writer worried that he would no longer be able to write.

The West Wing creator shared that he grew concerned about four months ago when he awoke in the middle of the night and was bumping into walls on the way to his kitchen. He revealed that the next morning, he was carrying orange juice into his office and it kept spilling.


That's when he began to worry.

When he went to the doctor, he learned his blood pressure was so high that he was told:

"You're supposed to be dead."

Sorkin found out he had suffered a stroke.

Sorkin, 61, told the Times:

"Mostly it was a loud wake-up call."
"I though I was one of those people who could eat whatever he wanted, smoke as much as he wanted, and it's not going to affect me."
"Boy, was I wrong."

Initially, Sorkin did not want to speak about his stroke, but he decided:

"If it'll get one person to stop smoking, then it'll be helpful."

A heavy smoker since high school, Sorkin revealed that the habit went hand in hand with his writing process.

"It was just part of it, the way a pen was part of it."
"I don't want to talk about it too much, because I'll start to salivate."

Fortunately, Sorkin changed his routine. He quit smoking cold turkey, changed his eating habits and works out twice daily.

He joked:

"I take a lot of medicine. You can hear the pills rattling around in me."

Sorkin also told the Times he suffered physically for about a month from side effects, including slurring his words, difficulty typing and even trouble signing his name until recently.

He shared that his signature is getting better, and the remaining side effect is that he can't really taste food.

Fans on social media expressed their relief that the Being the Ricardos director is on the mend and wished him well as he continues to recover.








Sorkin talked to the Times about his concern that his writing would suffer:

"There was a minute when I was concerned that I was never going to be able to write again, and I was concerned in the short-term that I wasn't going to be able to continue writing 'Camelot.'"

Fortunately, Sorkin was able to complete the rewrite and maintain its scheduled Broadway debut for April 13.

He finished by saying:

"Let me make this very, very clear."
"I'm fine. I wouldn't want anyone to think I can't work."
"I'm fine."

More from Trending

JD Vance's Attempt At A Joke About AOC Completely Bombed—And AOC Just Came In For The Kill
@atrupar/X; Sean Gallup/Getty Images

JD Vance's Attempt At A Joke About AOC Completely Bombed—And AOC Just Came In For The Kill

After Vice President JD Vance completely bombed a joke about New York Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez during a Board of Peace press conference, Ocasio-Cortez mocked him in a post on X.

President Donald Trump debuted the Board of Peace during last month's World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, presenting it as a body meant to manage the next stage of his proposed peace plan for Gaza.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of Lisa and Dr. Mehmet Oz
The Katie Miller Podcast

Dr. Oz Accidentally Tells The Truth About The Trump Administration's Gaslighting—And Yeah, That Tracks

Speaking on the podcast of former Trump administration official Katie Miller, Dr. Mehmet Oz, Trump's administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, accidentally told the truth about the administration's gaslighting of the American public.

Oz admitted that people "might not like us" but then had a Freudian slip that says all you need to know about an administration that is called out on a daily basis for openly lying and obfuscating.

Keep ReadingShow less
Karoline Leavitt
Saul Loeb/AFP via Getty Images

Karoline Leavitt Gets Awkward Reminder After Claiming Anything On Truth Social Is 'Directly From President Trump'

During the Wednesday press briefing, White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt directly contradicted her boss, MAGA Republican President Donald Trump.

Leavitt told the White House press corps:

Keep ReadingShow less
Keke Palmer attends the 8th Annual American Black Film Festival Honors at SLS Hotel.
Savion Washington/WireImage via Getty Images

Keke Palmer Explains Why She's 'Almost 100% Sure' She's Asexual In Candid Post—And Fans Are Here For Her

Keke Palmer had the internet talking after revealing she is “almost 100 percent sure” that she’s asexual. The Emmy-winning actress shared the revelation in a sultry Valentine’s Day Instagram post featuring a chic pixie cut, a champagne-toned halter corset top, a thin gold necklace, and stud earrings.

But while the photos turned heads, it was her caption that sparked the conversation.

Keep ReadingShow less
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups; Brad Reese's Open Letter to Todd Scott
Julia Ewan/TWP/Getty Images; Brad Reese/LinkedIn

Grandson Of Reese's Founder Shames Hershey Co. For 'Replacing' Candy's Iconic Ingredients In Powerful Open Letter

Brad Reese, the grandson of H.B. Reese, who invented Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, is now speaking up about the quality of the product and his grandfather's original promise: real peanut butter and real milk chocolate.

When H.B. Reese invented the deliciously simple candy, he pointed out that using real ingredients wasn't a marketing tactic for him; it was a promise to the consumer that they knew what they were eating, and that what they were eating was real food.

Keep ReadingShow less