Skip to content
Search AI Powered

Latest Stories

Brutal 1928 Essay Explains Exactly Why Robert E. Lee Does Not Deserve To Have Statues Honoring Him

Brutal 1928 Essay Explains Exactly Why Robert E. Lee Does Not Deserve To Have Statues Honoring Him
Universal History Archive/Universal Images Group via Getty Images

After years and years of debate, the tide seems to finally be turning when it comes to the issue of statues and monuments honoring Confederate figures.

But this hasn't stopped the voices loudly insisting the monuments have historical value or that figures like Confederate Army Commander Robert E. Lee deserve to be honored.


Recently, a viral tweet resurfaced a scathing 1928 essay on Lee by iconic Black sociologist, writer and academic W.E.B. DuBois on Robert E. Lee.

DuBois' essay definitively puts the spotlight to any lies justifying honoring Lee or the Confederacy—an insurrection driven by flat-out racism and White supremacy.

The essay, which appeared in a 1928 issue of the NAACP's The Crisis magazine, is unsparing in its indictment of Lee.

“Either he knew what slavery meant when he helped maim and murder thousands in its defense, or he did not. If he did not he was a fool. If he did, he was a traitor and a rebel ― not indeed to his country, but to humanity and humanity's God."
"...he did not have the moral courage to stand against his family and his clan. Lee hesitated and hung his head in shame, because he was asked to lead armies against human progress and Christian decency and did not dare refuse."

DuBois had choice words for anyone trafficking in the notion that the Civil War and Confederacy were about anything besides preserving slavery, too.

"The South cared only for State Rights as a weapon to defend slavery. If nationalism had been a stronger defense of the slave system than particularism, the South would have been as nationalistic in 1861 as it had been in 1812."

On Twitter, many people were blown away by the moral clarity of DuBois's words.










More recently, one of Robert E. Lee's descendants echoed the spirit of DuBois' takedown of Lee while speaking at a House of Representatives subcommittee hearing on Tuesday.

Reverend Robert Wright Lee, a nephew of Robert E. Lee, said:

"[F]or us to continue to celebrate a man who questioned the education, disparaged the right to vote of black life, and had previously fought for the continued enslavement of Africans on the North American continent is an affront to those now who are suffering under current weights of oppression."

The hearing was in reference to a monument to Lee at the Antietam National Battlefield in Maryland.

At over 700 monuments, there are more statues glorifying the Confederacy than the United States (Union) side in the Civil War. The majority of those monuments were cheaply made and hastily erected by the White supremacist ladies organization, the Daughters of the Confederacy, as a response to gestures of equality extended to Blacks in the south.

The majority of the monuments were erected decades after the end of the Civil War, peaking between 1890 and 1920, but continuing until the 1960s.

More from Trending

Screenshot of AI-generated Trump Mobile logo from video
@TrumpMobile/X

New Trump Mobile Promo Video Called Out For Being AI Slop In Hilariously Blunt Fact-Check

Following backlash from MAGA fans who complained they'd not received their Trump Mobile phones or their $100 deposits back, the company announced that it is indeed shipping out the phones soon by releasing a new AI video of what they look like, only to be criticized for revamping a phone that is already on the market.

The Trump Mobile T1 phone was unveiled in June 2025 on the 10th anniversary of Trump’s original presidential campaign launch, marking the Trump brand’s debut in the mobile device and wireless service market. At the time, the company said the phone would be available in August 2025.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshot of JD Vance; Donald Trump
@Acyn/X; Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images

JD Vance Just Said The Quiet Part Out Loud About What Trump Really 'Takes Seriously' As President—And Yep, That Tracks

In his announcement this week that the Trump administration will be withholding $1.3 billion in Medicaid payments from California due to alleged fraud, Vice President JD Vance had people raising their eyebrows after claiming that President Donald Trump "takes fraud seriously."

As part of his role overseeing anti-fraud efforts, Vance said the administration is targeting California because state officials are not taking Medicaid fraud seriously enough. Vance claimed both California and American taxpayers were being “defrauded” and alleged that some patients had been given unnecessary medications after fraudsters encouraged “false prescriptions” and improper treatment.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @itsgoobz's TikTok video
@itsgoobz/TikTok

Woman Goes Viral After Revealing How She Caught Her Husband Cheating Thanks To His iCloud Account

Cheating is an absolute dealbreaker in most relationships—but when you add three children to the mix, it escalates to a level of betrayal that there's really no coming back from.

It's even worse when the cheater does little to apologize for or even acknowledge what they have done.

Keep ReadingShow less
Screenshots from @maggieeatsss's TikTok video
@maggieeatsss/TikTok

Mom Goes Viral After Confronting Her Son About His Bullying Behavior At School—And Parents Are Applauding

Parents might not want to think about it or talk about it, but at some point, their children are going to make some mistakes, and the true test of their parenting is how they respond in those moments.

So when TikToker @maggieeatsss found out that her son had been bullying a kid at school, she knew there was no time to waste.

Keep ReadingShow less
North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter
FOX8 WGHP/YouTube; Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images

North Carolina Mom Slams MAGA Congresswoman For Attacking Her 10-Year-Old Son And His Teacher In 'Horrific' Letter

Greensboro, North Carolina, mother Emily Mango is upset with MAGA Republican Representative Virginia Foxx over a letter the North Carolina legislator sent to her 10-year-old son in response to a school assignment.

Mango shared that her son Christian, who is in the 4th grade, was tasked with a writing exercise. Students were to compose a persuasive essay on a topic of their choosing and send it to a changemaker.

Keep ReadingShow less